» Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings
Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

My imagination took a holiday... -_-

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My imagination took a holiday... -_-

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Let me explain: when I'm not working or Minecrafting, I let my imagination run free. I write and sketch for fun and, in short, I need a bit of help.

My roommate and I began writing a story last semester and, though we haven't started writing (still storyboarding), we've got characters, a world (complete with a map and history), a plot, characters, humanoid creatures...but no other flora or fauna! We need creatures other than the run-of-the-mill humanoids to help populate the world.

I used to create creatures/chimeras/etc. a lot when I was younger, but I'm out of practice, hence the asking for outside help...here are a few ideas.

1) Chimeras - you know, the "head of a lion, wings of an eagle, hind legs of a goat" sort of thing. Just smoosh 2+ creatures together and kinda describe it.

2) Plant life - Carnivorous vines, flowers with special properties, Ents (ok, not Ents, those have already been used :P ) whatever you want.

3) Whatever doesn't fit into those categories!

We need creatures of all kinds, that live in all kinds of biomes (Taiga, Ocean, forest, rainforest, etc. etc)

Whenever this story gets off the ground (and once we start writing), we will put up a dedication page to everyone that helped create the creatures/characters/world/etc. And, if this story doesn't end up getting written, I'll file the creature away in the back of my mind and not use them again, since stealing other peoples' ideas without giving them credit isn't my style (I find plagiarism sickening).

Anywho, if you have ideas, please post them! Or not, whichever works. *end rambling, begin headdesking*

EDIT
Sealand wrote:Could you give us any information on special places the characters will be, or just in general in the world? Might help some people to come up with some stuff, otherwise...

Hmm...how to explain this logically and quickly... Ok. Basically you've got a large landmass split by a sea. On the West border of the sea runs a large mountain range that peels off and juts off into the Northern country and heads west from there. The

> The Easternmost country ranges between forests and plains (best description: Think the Old West "rolling plains" but greener). Think of creatures like...like the creatures of the Miocene period. Adapted for plains life.

> The Northernmost country is barren and desolate, sort of like either the Sahara or the Arctic tundra (haven't decided which). All the creatures there are very hardy and tend to have terrible attitudes.

> The Westernmost Country is mostly plains and hills, but it has the majority of the larger rivers and their offshoots, as well as canyons, steppes, buttes, etc (caused by erosion...think the Grand Canyon except EVERYWHERE). Creatures that live here tend to live in and out of the water.

> The Southernmost Country boasts the majority of the landmass's lumber, so there are lots of forests. The forests rain from pine-like forests to giant redwood-like trees. The creatures here are, naturally, shy and adapted for forest life.

> The Sea: It's an ocean...so fish, lizards, mammals...

So: Sea, land, river, plains, forest (rainforest too?), and mountain creatures, who survive in temperate to harsh conditions.

Also, as a side note...does anyone know how to install mods (specifically the SinglePlayerCommands mod) on a Mac? Three days worth of struggling with it has me pulling my hair out -_-

Last edited by AJ.Wisteria on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: My imagination took a holiday... -_-

Post by Faelar Laelither on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Here's one for you- a five headed hydra with skin of a silvery metallic sheen, with cobra heads instead of traditional hydra heads. When opening their terrifying crests, static jumps inbetween their crests and faces, and the creature is capable of breathing streaks of lightning.

This one's been shelved in the brain for quite a long time. If you don't plan on using it, don't worry- I will someday.

Here's another- a large, spider-crab hybrid that sucks blood to stay alive. It uses a single, large crab claw to quickly grab and pin a victim with it's tight grip, and then sucks blood until the victim dies, as the creature doesn't seem to know when it's had enough.

You just have to keep in mind that years of games like DnD have created a mindset of coming up with bizaare killing machines. What climate these creatures could lurk in is up to you.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrikon on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:57 am

Single player commands.. i don't think its updated to 1.2.5 yet, not sure. but, i did find a tutorial on how to get it for macs, here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

google is good. if it doesn't work, just keep clickin on the vids.
Warrikon
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by sonicxs2 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:56 pm

well, i do not have any ideas for book stuff. :C

but this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a great solution i found out a while back, it lets you put mods into the minecraft.jar

for mod items that do not go in the jar file, go to finder, click on go in the top left corner of your screen, then click go to folder, the put: ~/Library/Application support/
alternatively: ~/Library/Application support/minecraft
then put the folders where they belong, (for example, the worldedit.jar file goes in the bin folder.)
sonicxs2
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks for the mod support, Sonic! I've tried everything under the sun, but so far nothing has worked...maybe this will.

The ideas are awesome Fae, though I think I'll tone the hydra down just a tad bit. I really like both ideas, so I'll have to get sketching sometime soon (after all my tests finally end -_-).

Ideas from others are still welcome!
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Could you give us any information on special places the characters will be, or just in general in the world? Might help some people to come up with some stuff, otherwise...

For chimeras, if you haven't done it already, you could do half humanoid, half animals. I always find those twisted experiments fun. For plants life... I can't really say, whenever I think of plant life I think a giant venus fly trap that uses vines to capture people. XD

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Edited the main post, check up top ^_^

Also, I'm trying to stay away from making human-animal hybrids, as fun as they are. Everyone seems to have at least one sort of human-animal (centaur, merfolk, satyr, etc) and it's kind of overused...
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Another idea for you.

A malformed scorpion without pincers or a stinger- in the place of each one, instead, is another mouth with extremely sharp and jagged teeth that look as if they come from another animal or monster.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum