» Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings
Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

Gauntlet: A Zombie Survival Game

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gauntlet: A Zombie Survival Game

Post by Darkborne on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:52 pm

I decided to finally make a thread about this baby.

The game is called The Gauntlet. The idea is simple. You. Must. Survive. You are a soldier being dropped into a plague-riddled land to take the land back from the dead. (THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RP. EVER. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM ANYONE ASKING ABOUT ANYTHING FAE HAS GOING ON. THIS IS SEPARATE. FOREVER. NO EXCEPTIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED!)

Your story begins aboard the HPMS Transcendence. The conveniently named Captain Referee has brought you aboard (let's face it, you were kidnapped. sorry...) to face down this threat to (insert government here). You start off with a set of leather armor, an iron sword, some food, and up to 3 buddies. Your goal: To survive. (The definition of survival here is not just to live, but to thrive).

You are air-dropped in a ravaged battlefield, a run-down, bloody fort your only protection. As you are assailed by waves of the dead and cursed, you are to venture forth and collect supplies to rebuild your fort. Rare cubes of gravel (The currency in this game) can be found on the field, as well as stone and wood and other goodies (as you unlock them). Use these materials to improve your defenses and build more. Certain things cannot be destroyed (specific rules are given by the Captain during your briefing).

As you fight, you must sally forth and liberate the surrounding lands (conveniently, farmlands, mines, logging areas... areas with rich resources). Eventually, you will discover the cultist's castle, and stop the evil at it's source, a rift in the world.

Practical rules are as follow:

1) You may not bring anything with you to the field nor take anything from the field. Anyone who tries will have their inventory wiped. You use what you get on the field.

2) You cannot break Cobble, Dirt, Planks, fencing (iron or wood), glass, glowstone, grass blocks or mycelium blocks (they shouldn't exist but then end up on the field sometimes).

3) You may only collect supplies DURING rounds. Once the last zombie goes down, return to base.

4)No jackassing around the rules.

In between rounds, you can purchase upgrades, traps, and other things using the gravel you find on the field. (I chose gravel because it can't be used for other things). Money, equipment, and other goods are communal for teams. I will place a full shop list after my classes later.

If you die, you remain dead until the next round. If all 4 members go down, the team is considered KIA, and must restart, so be very careful. (This rule is under debate, so if you have a better suggestion, please let me know).

I made this post for the purpose of discussion/registration of teams. You may have 2-4 people per team. I recommend 4 as the rounds can be rough.

Thanks to all my Betas for helping me troubleshoot the game and test the balances, and to Frazz for providing a kickass motherboard for the field. After the new map comes up, I'll need a week to rebuild the field and games can begin.

Darkborne
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Gauntlet: A Zombie Survival Game

Post by Tengard on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Once a team is formed can they only play with each other? I mean after they play a game, later if someone else comes along and there is an opening can they join?

Sorry if the question is convoluted.... Can't form it right.

"Rusk: The kind of man who would "act" like he just stole your baby child's lollipop." -Scope.

Tengard, the master of "Nope let's make the characters as UNHAPPY as possible..."

Nihilum, the evolved form of Rusk. Commonly found in dimensions of sheer awesomeness, this Pokemon takes to flying over noobs after a hearty lunch of enchiladas. Needless to say, a swarm is considered a bad sign in many cultures.
Tengard
SMP Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkborne on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 pm

I get what you mean. Are team members inter-changeable, right? The answer is yes, but if you leave your teammates behind in terms of gear, they'll be inconvenienced later (unless you collect enough to upgrade them).

Be warned that new people still only get the basic set, so if you bring a fresh recruit to a high level game, they'll be at a disadvantage for a couple rounds. This is to prevent people just coming in at high levels and instantly getting a full set of mid-level gear (diamonds).

Darkborne
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spiffzombie on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:47 am

How many games/groups are going at once? can two groups do this separately at the same time?

spiffzombie
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazer_ on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Sounds terrific, although sounds quite long, would a match take an hour each? Long Intergame games are fun though. Especially with forts etc. Sounds fun.

Any wanna join me in a team? Do we plan the teams prior Dark, or just gather some players if 2-4 Willing people are online, and so are yourself? You mentioned referees, could others be trained or something, or is it just you? I imagine you would've mentioned? Probably not, but anyway.
Mazer_
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkborne on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Spiffzombie: I'd need to build a second field, and train another admin in how to proctor a game, but absolutely more than 1 group can play. I imagine it would be simple to world edit an identical field somewhere.

Mazer: You gather the team before hand. If you need a substitution or addition to the team and someone is willing to play, by all means go for it. But they will be playing under your team name.

That being said, if any admins are willing to put up with me long enough to train, let me know.

Darkborne
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sonicxs2 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:24 pm

I will join you mazer. This all sounds like a great idea. This is gunna be so much fun! :D

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sonicxs2
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkborne on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:28 pm

I forgot to mention, games can take more than a day, depending on the schedule of the players and the Refs. Beta testing lasted hours, but didn't even reach mid-level gameplay (due mostly to player deaths and other such setbacks). You can have as many rounds as necessary for you guys to reach the end. Theoretically you can grind the rounds until your whole team is ready.

Darkborne
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum