» Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings
Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

I think I've solved our trading issues.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I think I've solved our trading issues.

Post by SelectorOfSouls on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 am

For those who don't know, trading issues basically involved person A giving person B and item and then person B not giving person A an item in exchange.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SelectorOfSouls
Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: I think I've solved our trading issues.

Post by Mazer_ on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 am

Seen it all before. The answer, Gun, and if that don't work, use more gun.

Seriously though, the answer, piston, use piston shoots, pushing and pulling glass, so you can see, both players throw in their item, then pistons push, and grab it.

In another server I was playing. There was a real safe one, there were two seperate doors, each on the otherside of the room, each with an iron door, opened and closed from the inside. And then they can't interact with eachother, because of bedrock(I think it may have been that) and stone bricks and iron bars. Then there was a high tech piston system, with good 'ol water ways to push the items, and voila, a good system.

But we don't really have any trading issues. ._.
Mazer_
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 am

Hrrm. Didn't often come across issues like that, most especially not with the 'main' community we have.
What I would like to see is one system from Iconomy. The chests that a player can put a sign on, that works like a private sign but also allows the chest to buy and sell items if it has enough in stock.
I.E: I get a lot of iron, but I need diamonds. I place that chest outisde my house/in my shop/wherever and put the sign up. I fill it with as much iron as I'm willing to give away, set a price on the sign for selling my iron for diamonds, then go off and probably post in this forum, or leave ad signs in places, requesting diamonds. Whilst I'm offline, people can come spend diamonds to buy my iron, and thanks to the system handling it, there can be no cheating either player except through a glitch.
It could of course be done with other items too, I've forgotten exactly how you set the chest up and that, but it would be very helpful for anyone looking to buy or sell, and would provide a safe way to trade too.

Now, I've suggested this before and received no/not many responses to it, so I'm going to assume people don't like the idea. As such I'd probably build something like this at some point in the new map.
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by SelectorOfSouls on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Joccaren wrote:Hrrm. Didn't often come across issues like that, most especially not with the 'main' community we have.
What I would like to see is one system from Iconomy. The chests that a player can put a sign on, that works like a private sign but also allows the chest to buy and sell items if it has enough in stock.
I.E: I get a lot of iron, but I need diamonds. I place that chest outisde my house/in my shop/wherever and put the sign up. I fill it with as much iron as I'm willing to give away, set a price on the sign for selling my iron for diamonds, then go off and probably post in this forum, or leave ad signs in places, requesting diamonds. Whilst I'm offline, people can come spend diamonds to buy my iron, and thanks to the system handling it, there can be no cheating either player except through a glitch.
It could of course be done with other items too, I've forgotten exactly how you set the chest up and that, but it would be very helpful for anyone looking to buy or sell, and would provide a safe way to trade too.

Now, I've suggested this before and received no/not many responses to it, so I'm going to assume people don't like the idea. As such I'd probably build something like this at some point in the new map.
Except that the Iconomy idea was declined as far as I remember. And I'm not necessarily saying we need a trading system or that we have trading issues, mostly that if we get more popular, and start obtaining more members, one may be required.

@ Mazer: Isn't that exactly what was in the video... Did you even watch it... like, seriously? -_-

SelectorOfSouls
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 pm

We don't really have the problem of Person A not giving Person B their part of the trade when Person B gives Person A theirs.

What I don't like about the current economy is that iron is generally used as money. You make pistons for a project = you are poor. And sad. Very sad. :C

The problem is, we should have something that is an item currency, but there is no item that cannot somehow be crafted or mined or chopped down or whatever, so no matter what the item currency is, you could make crap loads of money with just a little time and effort.

Hmm.
mimmyjambo
Regular

http://www.jameslittlewood.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 pm

mimmyjambo wrote: What I don't like about the current economy is that iron is generally used as money. You make pistons for a project = you are poor. And sad. Very sad. :C

Iron is also very useful for low-level armor. Has anyone thought of using gold? It's really only good for crafting/making clocks/powered rails. Plus gold armor/tools are rubbish. Maybe use gold nuggets?
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 pm

AJ.Wisteria wrote:Iron is also very useful for low-level armor. Has anyone thought of using gold? It's really only good for crafting/making clocks/powered rails. Plus gold armor/tools are rubbish. Maybe use gold nuggets?
mimmyjambo wrote:The problem is, we should have something that is an item currency, but there is no item that cannot somehow be crafted or mined or chopped down or whatever, so no matter what the item currency is, you could make crap loads of money with just a little time and effort.

I know gold isn't hugely common, but... It's still relatively easy to get hold of. Mine a while and you're bound to get some. Nuggets would mean 1 gold = 9 monies. I suppose it could work. Perhaps prices could be high, so 1 gold ingot wouldn't get you as far as the 9 nuggets you can get from it might make you think.

I'm really not sure about this.
mimmyjambo
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Porkchop on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 am

>mfw I saw this yesterday O.O

But we don't have trading issues... at least I haven't heard of any.
I didn't mind the iron currency where you had to be wise with your iron to have tools whilst still having enough to trade but with the new post-1.8 ore gen I think iron's out of the question.

I'm not sure how to fix this recurring problem, maybe have a modder create a coin item or similar and have specially chosen bankers who are able to trade them in? Or maybe bankers could be NPCs which also fits in with another NPC suggestion I've seen here before. Or it could just be done via signs. Trade x iron/gold/lapis/ and recieve y coins.

I've seen plugins which do this, but then again this just loops us back around to the 'no iConomy plugins' decision. Eh.
Sir Porkchop
Regular

Location : Why must you ask these questions? Are you stalking me?

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:58 am

SelectorOfSouls wrote:Except that the Iconomy idea was declined as far as I remember. And I'm not necessarily saying we need a trading system or that we have trading issues, mostly that if we get more popular, and start obtaining more members, one may be required.
I know the Iconomy coins instead of iron was declined, but I never actually got a reason for simply the trading chests being declined. No money, simply a chest that you can trade with whilst the owner is away.

To everyone saying we need to take out iron as currency because it is useful, no, I will repeat the reasons why:
It is because Iron is useful that it is our currency. Why trade for a useless item when you can't be sure you'll ever use it/be able to trade it for something like iron?
Iron is common, and gives everyone a chance to get 'money'.
Now, lets take Reaver as an example here. He built ships in Cerberus for Diamonds and Iron. Would you have done the same for an arbitrary item that offered you nothing? Odds are, yes, as you probably weren't expecting Wind to be so generous. Now, lets say you got paid an equivalent in 'coins' as I'll call them. What would you do with it? Likely try to buy iron with it, or diamonds. Wind would likely sell his iron and diamonds, but all you've done there is add in a middle man - why not just pay in iron and diamonds upfront - whilst many others wouldn't trade iron or diamonds as they need it, or think they'll need it in the future.
What happens though when this mentality of 'Iron is useful, therefore not trade it' extends to a fake currency system? You want to buy iron, you don't have a lot, but nobody is willing to sell you it because it is useful, and they want it for themselves. It then becomes impossible for you to get iron without mining away in the stone.
On the iron as currency end of the spectrum, when you chop down 50 trees, you'll get given some iron to compensate you. You build something, you get given iron. You trade anything, you can ask for iron. This allows you to obtain iron without mining, and forces people to not hoard their iron and actually spend it.
I will also remind you that we are not officially an iron based currency. We are officially a barter system. People just use iron as currency for the reasons I listed above: Its wanted by the worker, and allows non-miners to get some useful tools and armour.
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by superscope1 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 am

Joccaren wrote:I know the Iconomy coins instead of iron was declined, but I never actually got a reason for simply the trading chests being declined. No money, simply a chest that you can trade with whilst the owner is away.

Actually, looking through everything, I think essentials has something like that.. However that might be for an iConomy type of money, not an item. Didn't look too far into it.

Semi-ontopic: Would anyone care to help me make an unofficial price guide, mostly for newbies? Like how I can trade a stack of cobble for 1 iron, or a stack of tree for 4 iron kinda thing. Might be able to make it so that you can find out the price of an item in-game without asking around, but it would still let people be generous, as there is no restriction on it, more-so just a reminder.

Opinions would be nice as well =3
(I love posting at work, it makes me feel productive... Even though I'm not getting paid for my breaks, those greedy bastards.....)

superscope1
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 am

Iron is also very useful for low-level armor. Has anyone thought of using gold? It's really only good for crafting/making clocks/powered rails. Plus gold armor/tools are rubbish. Maybe use gold nuggets?

Iron armor is pretty godly now, actually.

I guess this mod could be implemented, but most of our community has great integrity and trustworthiness and do not need this plugin. I understand the desire for security, though.

While I'm at it, shouldn't this be in one of our mod suggestion threads? It would give me an excuse to suggest the smart moving mod, which is now SMP compatible- nevermind the fact that I just suggested it.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Faelar Laelither wrote:I guess this mod could be implemented, but most of our community has great integrity and trustworthiness and do not need this plugin. I understand the desire for security, though.

While I'm at it, shouldn't this be in one of our mod suggestion threads? It would give me an excuse to suggest the smart moving mod, which is now SMP compatible- nevermind the fact that I just suggested it.
I think the reason may be that Selector's suggestion isn't a mod, but a design that can be built in game to make trading more secure. My suggestion probably requires a mod, but its more for convenience when your not online than it is for security.
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:56 pm

I think the reason may be that Selector's suggestion isn't a mod, but a design that can be built in game to make trading more secure. My suggestion probably requires a mod, but its more for convenience when your not online than it is for security.

Okay, I see what you're saying there.

Well, I'm allright with this, myself. It doesn't seem necessary, but I'm not against it.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by capsnip on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:50 pm

A mod or plugin that allows a person to sell things while they are offline would be very useful as currently the only way to sell something is if a person who is online at the same time as you wants to buy what you are selling which doesn't happen all too often. If you were capable of putting up automatic vending machines as such, if someone wanted to buy something all they have to do is go to a shop that sells what they want and buy it, instead of waiting for the player to come online (time zone differences may mean they are never online at the same time) to sell their goods to them. Being able to sell things while being offline/afk will be very useful to everyone. It would also be very useful in helping to create a central market place sort of area that people can go to buy/sell their things.
capsnip

Back to top Go down

Post by SelectorOfSouls on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:19 pm

superscope1 wrote:(Even though I'm not getting paid for my breaks, those greedy bastards.....)
Fail. ^
I already have a list semi-procured onto my desktop in a .txt folder. I'll do some math and make sure that the amount of time you spend collecting one resource is approximately the same time to collect a different resource for the same value. eg. "Time it takes to collect X amount of wood" vs. "Time it takes to collect Y amount of cobble" vs. "Time it takes to collect Z amount of iron" etc. for all items. I'll also make sure you can't get tons of 1 item just to trade it for tons of another item. I should be done before the new map comes out... Minecraft does have a large variety of items. (over 200)

Edit: Someone "warn" mimmyjambo for triple-posting.

SelectorOfSouls
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjam on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:33 pm

I triple posted? Crap, sorry. Was on my mobile phone at the time (as I am now), and I've go no idea wtf it did to make my one post into three... Mega confused here.

mimmyjam

Back to top Go down

Post by SelectorOfSouls on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Well, just edit them together and delete 2 of them, I'm sure the mods won't notice if you're quick enough

SelectorOfSouls
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by superscope1 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Tala... That's Reaver, AJ, Reaver. -.-

superscope1
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by SelectorOfSouls on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

superscope1 wrote:Tala... That's Reaver, AJ, Reaver. -.-
Oops... I guess the picture threw me off since it's the same guy in both their pics. Sorry Reaver... My bad.

SelectorOfSouls
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 am

SelectorOfSouls wrote:
superscope1 wrote:Tala... That's Reaver, AJ, Reaver. -.-
Oops... I guess the picture threw me off since it's the same guy in both their pics. Sorry Reaver... My bad.

YEAH! EXACTLY! YOU SHOULD BE!

I mean, it's not like I thought the same thing as you... GOD, SELECTOR!
mimmyjambo
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 pm

What I find hilarious is AJ quoted Mimmy, so apparently Reaver repled to himself, twice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Sealand wrote:What I find hilarious is AJ quoted Mimmy, so apparently Reaver repled to himself, twice.

mimmyjambo
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum