Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

Game Over, Man, Game Over!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Game Over, Man, Game Over!

Post by Squii on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:37 am

Joccaren wrote:Yeah. I think the Christmas period of 2011 till now has been one big string of bad luck that I've been reading here. Common, end of the world is this Christmas, not last Christmas. Get your act together world. We still got a good 11 months of happy living left!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Squii
Loot God

http://Pimpturtles.awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:22 am

Squii wrote:
Joccaren wrote:Yeah. I think the Christmas period of 2011 till now has been one big string of bad luck that I've been reading here. Common, end of the world is this Christmas, not last Christmas. Get your act together world. We still got a good 11 months of happy living left!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.](Image not snipped for reason below)
PURE WIN
(^reason right there)

You have learned much, my son.
mimmyjambo
Regular

http://www.jameslittlewood.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:33 am

I wish you the best of luck in finding a new computer (given the wonderful amount of advice) and whatever else may happen. Hope to see you soon, Khaddo.

SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:09 am

nuff said.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:24 am

ReceptiveRaptor wrote:The.
World.
Will.
See.
and every year.
After.
Squii wrote:
I don't at all believe in the 2012 prophecy. I'd thought you guys would be able to tell that was a joke, without me putting in the whole (Note: I do not believe in this prophecy) line.

Last edited by Joccaren on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by greendino on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:28 am

Sides we can't kick Jocc out we need him for the new map...
greendino

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrikon on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:11 am

ReceptiveRaptor wrote:The.
World.
Will.
See.
and every year.
After.

Kairus wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nuff said.

in other words..

Joccaren wrote:I don't at all believe in the 2012 prophecy. I'd thought you guys would be able to tell that was a joke, without me putting in the whole (Note: I do not believe in this prophecy) line.

Joccaren wrote:I'd thought you guys would be able to tell that was a joke

Joccaren wrote:was a joke

Joccaren wrote:joke

*walks off*
Warrikon
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 am

The world will not end in 2012...
It will see 2013 and EVERY year after.
Forever.

[4:42:47 PM] Superscope1: Raptor, stop failed.
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:20 am

ReceptiveRaptor wrote:The world will not end in 2012...
Forever.
Forever probably not. Eventually it will get burnt into a crisp by our sun, and odds are sometime in eternity it will fall into a black hole and be utterly destroyed.
Now, that's millions and billions of years off, a time when humans likely won't even exist, but forever... Odds are no.
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:12 am

Joccaren wrote:
Forever.
Forever probably not. Eventually it will get burnt into a crisp by our sun, and odds are sometime in eternity it will fall into a black hole and be utterly destroyed.
Now, that's millions and billions of years off, a time when humans likely won't even exist, but forever... Odds are no.

Odds are, the Earth will never see it's demise. In a billion years, one would think we would have created something which can move it to safety, most likely into a large museum :)

Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrikon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:33 am

Forever.

i disagree here.

see my theory is that all the planets are slowly moving towards the sun. Mars will become earth (eventually) and earth will become venus or whatever the fach is infront. There is a lot of evidence proving this because of Venus having such a earthlike structure yet being completely inhabitatable.

then again that is my theory and who the hell cares about me? :P

Either that or the sun gunna get big and fat and gunna go BOOM
Warrikon
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:28 am

Warrikon wrote:
Forever.

i disagree here.

see my theory is that all the planets are slowly moving towards the sun. Mars will become earth (eventually) and earth will become venus or whatever the fach is infront. There is a lot of evidence proving this because of Venus having such a earthlike structure yet being completely inhabitatable.

then again that is my theory and who the hell cares about me? :P

That would be the case if general and special relativity weren't true; we'd be sucked into the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy. But we're pretty sure relativity is correct.

The sun will be expanding out enough to fry Earth, but don't expect that for a few billion years.

SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:25 am

Kairus wrote:Odds are, the Earth will never see it's demise. In a billion years, one would think we would have created something which can move it to safety, most likely into a large museum :)
Whilst I would love for that to happen, I severely doubt it.
For one, odds overall are humans will be extinct in a billion years.
For two, such a thing would require FTL speeds to be somewhat practical, though not for the Earth.
A large part of this requires us to have another home to go to and live on whilst we move the Earth. As we move it, EVERYTHING on the planet will die or enter a form of stasis. No sunlight and very sub zero temperatures, things don't like to live like that.
The next part is actually moving it. That is no mean fete.
The most practical way to move it would be with a very heavy gravitational mass nearby that pulled it, however moving something like that would be just as much of a nightmare, and the whole process would take a long, long time.
Using thrusters on the planets surface as a propellant is also highly impractical. For one, you'd have to constantly stop firing them, as the Earth rotates, meaning if you constantly fired them they would have little effect. Another problem is the materials to make them. It would require an absolute ton of materials. The next problem after that is fuel. Not even all the potential fuel on the Earth would cause enough force to push our planet away from the sun in a sane amount of time, let alone steer it past the other planets too.

Odds are, if humans did survive, the COLOSSAL investment to try and save the Earth would not be seen as worth it. Once the sun burns it to a crisp, we might establish a museum on its cold, dead surface in memorial to our home, but eventually it would likely fall into a black hole - one of the possible fates for everything in the universe (As in the end of the universe: Everything ends up falling into a black hole given enough time, and those black holes slowly radiate into nothing. You may get a few planets and rocks floating around in space, but the Universe as a whole would be dead).

Warrikon wrote:
i disagree here.

see my theory is that all the planets are slowly moving towards the sun.
We are actually drifting farther away from it, the Earth is getting about 15cm further away from the sun each year. They won't change places or even get that significant of a distance away from where they are at the moment within the sun's lifetime though, so it doesn't matter a whole lot.
Mars will become earth (eventually) and earth will become venus or whatever the fach is infront. There is a lot of evidence proving this because of Venus having such a earthlike structure yet being completely inhabitatable.
Venus having an Earthlike structure is not evidence that it moved in from Earth's current position. It is evidence that, when Venus formed, it formed in a similar manner to, and with a similar amount of materials as, Earth.
What would be evidence of the planets falling toward the sun would be if we observed such an effect occurring present day, or found sizeable chunks of Venus material exclusively at Earth's Lagrange points, Chunks of Earth Exclusively at Mars' Lagrange points, ect - though that wouldn't prove that the planets were moving in, it would give a little bit of credence to it.

Gonna get big and fat? Yes. Go Boom? Nope. Its going to get big and fat then just shrink back down. No Supernova for Earth.

And this:
BlazeZeroThree wrote:That would be the case if general and special relativity weren't true; we'd be sucked into the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy. But we're pretty sure relativity is correct.

The sun will be expanding out enough to fry Earth, but don't expect that for a few billion years.
Though I don't think you need general and special relativity to explain why we don't fall towards the sun. From memory Newtonian physics explained that fine too.
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrikon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:12 am

by the way, when i said get big and fat and gunna go BOOM, i really couldn't be bothered explaining how its going to die, we all know that.. from... star life cycles
Warrikon
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:45 am

Warrikon wrote:by the way, when i said get big and fat and gunna go BOOM, i really couldn't be bothered explaining how its going to die, we all know that.. from... star life cycles
But there is still numerous ways a star can die, so it would have been good for clarity (Considering some stars do go boom).
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrikon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 am

Joccaren wrote:
Warrikon wrote:by the way, when i said get big and fat and gunna go BOOM, i really couldn't be bothered explaining how its going to die, we all know that.. from... star life cycles
But there is still numerous ways a star can die, so it would have been good for clarity (Considering some stars do go boom).

clarity was on cd

and cbf just came up
Warrikon
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Squii on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:08 pm

I just love how originally this thread was about Khaddo's computer and now we're having a debate about how will earth be destroyed 39012839012831290839018390128981290381290381923819023810 years from today.
Squii
Loot God

http://Pimpturtles.awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:51 am

Good point.
Way to derail a thread guys.
*cough*

If you would like to debate about the end of the world which wont happen you could always make another thread :P
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum