Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

SOPA update

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SOPA update

Post by greendino on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 am

blazethreezero wrote:The NDAA is the 2012 (that is, this year) military budget that had an indefinite detention clause slipped in. It was signed on his desk on December 31, 2011. Now, I'm not sure there's a significant distinction between the end of the year of 2011 and the end of the military's fiscal year of 2011, but had it not been signed at that very moment, it may have been possible that there would be a freeze on military spending (disastrous) as 2011's NDAA expired. Now, I skimmed through the Obama Administration's press release on the signing of the NDAA, and they didn't mention Congress wrestling in the bill at the last possible hour, but I still have my suspicions. Anyhow,

Well yes it wasn't a best case scenario, but he should have vetoed the bill and demand that congress clear up the ambiguous language that could lead to said citizen detaining that everyone is scared of. Instead he caved. Like he always has.

Bugger needs to grow a pair.
greendino

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 am

Blaze, it appears your faith in the US government is misplaced. FBI just shutdown Megaupload. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Further proof: I, here in Australia, cannot hit it either.
Seriously, you guys need to get your government together: They're acting like a bunch of shaved monkeys ATM.
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 am

Copyright infringement and pirating IS illegal in the U.S. SOPA/PIPA was just an absurd bill that gave far too much power to suppress freedom of speech.

With the mess it caused, people should expect sites like Megaupload/video to be brought down with a heavy hand. Hell, YouTube is probably under tons of scrutiny right now, but they're really good about taking down videos.

"The fact is that the vast majority of mega's Internet traffic is legitimate"

Did anyone go on there to watch videos that aren't reuploads of shows?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:59 am

Sealand wrote:Did anyone go on there to watch videos that aren't reuploads of shows?
Didn't even know there were re-uploads of shows on it. I use it often as it is the one freaking upload site that doesn't charge me money to have my file up for more than 10 days after the most recent download, I don't have to have an account for and is just generally easy to use.
I'd wager that a lot of Mega's traffic IS legal. If they want to take down pirating websites, take down the obvious ones like 'ThePIRATEbay.com' or W/E.
If they have a reason to take down Mega, they have a reason to take down EVERY. SINGLE. File Sharing site out there, as they are basically the same, but some are easier to use than others. Lets just assume Mega did have illegal stuff on it, what do you think is going to happen to that now? Its all going to move to another file sharing site. The US has basically just called a crusade on all file sharing.
That goes against my Kopimist religion, and blocking file sharing entirely is, to an extent, blocking free speech. The US government can go F*** itself if it thinks this is a good idea. This is the sort of stuff we wanted to stop SOPA to stop happening. If the US continues with this, it really is carefully shooting itself in each foot. Servers move overseas, out of US jurisdiction, so that they can stay up, and the US loses a lot of Internet business.
You know what, go on US, pass SOPA. Start blocking sites only in your own country, but let the rest of the world stay free. I think you'll find people worldwide will notice Mega is down, and many of them will have a legitimate problem with that.
For example, I hope none of you guys wanted me to upload the old map. It is now gone thanks to this.
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:12 am

greendino wrote:Well yes it wasn't a best case scenario, but he should have vetoed the bill and demand that congress clear up the ambiguous language that could lead to said citizen detaining that everyone is scared of. Instead he caved. Like he always has.

Bugger needs to grow a pair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] He claims he has serious issues with the section in question (1022), and will work on having it repealed. I would be skeptical about this, but it would have been essential to pass this bill, with its evil flaws, to avoid a logistical disaster for American troops and their families.

In addition, the language was not ambiguous. It was very clear on its intentions, and was very broad in its authority. I do not remotely agree with officially granting the military infinite power with detaining suspected terrorists, but you may want to take this into perspective and realize they've been doing this since the Bush administration with not-so-secret military prisons like Guantanamo. This doesn't change anything except for putting the act into explicit language. Again, I find this appalling and indefensible, as well as a danger to national security, but this is no change from what the previous administration has left behind.

Blaze, it appears your faith in the US government is misplaced. FBI just shutdown Megaupload. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Further proof: I, here in Australia, cannot hit it either.
Seriously, you guys need to get your government together: They're acting like a bunch of shaved monkeys ATM.
They have no right to be barging into New Zealand and shutting down a company that has no base in America, and is probably a violation of various international laws.

But you need to realize that one of government's most important roles is in protecting property rights. Governments around the world have taken thousands of years to understand how to protect its citizens' property best, starting from basic goods like food to durable goods like homes, and then moving onto intellectual property. Too little control, and a market economy fails as consumers and/or suppliers and/or innovators have no incentive to buy/produce, as they lack the confidence they'll be able to keep or sell unique goods. Too much government interference, and it ends up being communism, strangling the liberty of the people. In the scheme of it all, the Internet is a very new device through which people may exchange goods, and it's certainly done much more good than harm to the economy and freedom of all the peoples of the world. I would think governments are struggling to come to terms with the implications of this much freedom spanning from the Internet, and are trying to find a way to maintain the systems of the old that kept innovation alive yet allow freedom to keep the people free from the excessive bonds of government. It's clear by now that the Internet cannot be censored, let alone tamed, but this is all part of the natural resistance to change by governments, suppliers, and innovators alike. This will all blow over (eventually, give it a few years or decades) when people come to realize this.

The US government can go F*** itself if it thinks this is a good idea. This is the sort of stuff we wanted to stop SOPA to stop happening. If the US continues with this, it really is carefully shooting itself in each foot. Servers move overseas, out of US jurisdiction, so that they can stay up, and the US loses a lot of Internet business.
You know what, go on US, pass SOPA. Start blocking sites only in your own country, but let the rest of the world stay free. I think you'll find people worldwide will notice Mega is down, and many of them will have a legitimate problem with that.
Holy f***. It's not passing. I thought I made that clear. The BBC reports legislators are abandoning SOPA/PIPA. The Chamber of Commerce, the people who back this stuff, admits they're not passing. The Internet industry (eg. Google, Facebook) has enough clout to lobby against it if it actually becomes a problem, which it never was.

SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 am

BlazeZeroThree wrote:Holy f***. It's not passing. I thought I made that clear. The BBC reports legislators are abandoning SOPA/PIPA. The Chamber of Commerce, the people who back this stuff, admits they're not passing. The Internet industry (eg. Google, Facebook) has enough clout to lobby against it if it actually becomes a problem, which it never was.
I know its not passing. Now I want it to pass.
1. It would give Mega a defence in this. The defence that, due to the nature of their site, they do not have the technology to stop copyright infringement.
2. It would cause many servers in the US to go overseas. Fast. Whilst they go on with their stupid SOPA blockages, the rest of the Internet would be safe. Unless they're even more stupid than they look.

Yes, the Internet is a new medium. Relatively. We've had it for at least 20 years now. That does not mean they need to start doing this sort of crap. Its like bringing a Novalith Cannon to a gunfight. Can't win normally? We'll nuke you!
Mega has been around for years, and I find it highly suspicious that only now has any evidence been bought up against it. Now, when SOPA and PIPA have been stopped dead in their tracks. It seems more a retaliation than anything, and that is not something a government should do.
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 am

^^
SOPA Wars Episode three: Revenge of the Net!
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Joccaren wrote:
Didn't even know there were re-uploads of shows on it. I use it often as it is the one freaking upload site that doesn't charge me money to have my file up for more than 10 days after the most recent download, I don't have to have an account for and is just generally easy to use.

I meant Megavideo, which is honestly what they would've got hit for. I watched all six seasons of the newest Doctor Who over the course of months on it and Videobb. Never seen a video taken down on there. [/quote]

Joccaren wrote: take down the obvious ones like 'ThePIRATEbay.com' or W/E.
Pirate Bay is probably a lot harder to take down than Megaupload/video, even then, the internet would outrage.

Joccaren wrote:Mega has been around for years, and I find it highly suspicious that only now has any evidence been bought up against it. Now, when SOPA and PIPA have been stopped dead in their tracks. It seems more a retaliation than anything, and that is not something a government should do.
Like I said, with the SOPA/PIPA mess, government is gonna be cracking down on copyright infringing and pirating sites. They really have mostly turned a blind eye to it in the years, so because SOPA/PIPA brought it out so much to the public, they need to actually do something besides having their pants hanging around their ankles.

Kairus wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
That... has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's just going to cause more conflict, and cause bills like SOPA and PIPA to actually pass. Which gets us no where.

Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 am

Sopa and Pipa have been dropped.
The war is won.

[4:42:47 PM] Superscope1: Raptor, stop failed.
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:57 am

ReceptiveRaptor wrote:Sopa and Pipa have been dropped.
The war is won.
Well done people of Earth.

Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:58 am

ReceptiveRaptor wrote:Sopa and Pipa have been dropped.
The war is won.

Kairus wrote:Well done people of Earth.
What about me?!
mimmyjambo
Regular

http://www.jameslittlewood.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:38 am

mimmyjambo wrote:What about me?
You are a human. You're home planet is Earth. Whilst you venture through the stars, Earth was the birthplace of your kind, and you can be classified under the label 'People of Earth'.
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:26 am

Joccaren wrote:
You're home planet is Earth.

YOUR
YOUR
OMG I'M SO SICK OF PEOPLE DOING THIS ; _ ;
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:45 am

ReceptiveRaptor wrote:
Joccaren wrote:
You're home planet is Earth.

YOUR
YOUR
OMG I'M SO SICK OF PEOPLE DOING THIS ; _ ;
Same here. I derped up that one. Sad thing is, I did another one of them in either this same post, or another one, then quickly edited it. I'm getting sloppy...

For SOPAness: The MPAA has threatened to not fund Obama's next election campaign thanks to SOPA not being passed, and him supporting such.
The Obama cabinet reaction:
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:05 pm

^^
Full of win. Bit sad its fake, but full of win none the less. Currently, I'm liking Obama. Except the massive amounts of money it cost us to have him over here for a week. Seriously. Not even the Queen costs as much when she comes over.
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 pm

That's because no one cares about the Queen?
Wait what?

[4:42:47 PM] Superscope1: Raptor, stop failed.
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:14 pm

ReceptiveRaptor wrote:That's because no one cares about the Queen?
Wait what?
^^
On the bright side her descendants look... Pretty average actually. Damn, England; You've got a Royal family, have them do something awesome rather than look brain dead. I mean, I know they probably are, but still...
Joccaren
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Joccaren wrote:
You are a human. You're home planet is Earth. Whilst you venture through the stars, Earth was the birthplace of your kind, and you can be classified under the label 'People of Earth'.

K, then.
mimmyjambo
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by greendino on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Just warning... hearing some talk bout the folk behind SOPA trying to aim for January now. The war will never be won.

This was only the beginning....
greendino

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Joccaren wrote:
ReceptiveRaptor wrote:That's because no one cares about the Queen?
Wait what?
^^
On the bright side her descendants look... Pretty average actually. Damn, England; You've got a Royal family, have them do something awesome rather than look brain dead. I mean, I know they probably are, but still...

#Winning
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 am

greendino wrote:Just warning... hearing some talk bout the folk behind SOPA trying to aim for January now. The war will never be won.

You mean folk like Lamar Smith, who withdrew support for his own bill?
mimmyjambo
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by greendino on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:15 pm

mimmyjambo wrote:
greendino wrote:Just warning... hearing some talk bout the folk behind SOPA trying to aim for January now. The war will never be won.

Source? I haven't heard that.
greendino

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:08 pm

greendino wrote:
mimmyjambo wrote:

Source? I haven't heard that.

Read it on GameSpot. Google it, I'm sure you'll find the article.
mimmyjambo
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum