11% 11% 
[ 2 ]
47% 47% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 19

Rebirth Of The Dawn Of Time.

Post by TheFrazzledKid on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 am

IMPORTANT:READ BEFORE YOU VOTE.

First off, I'd love it if you read Z's thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

I know it's quite a lot to read, but it's knowledge you might want to know, as I plan on implementing quite a lot of it.
Speaking of which, an update on the server:
I'm currently looking for a new host.
A new map may or may not come with this (Yes, I know I could upload the map to the new host, but I'm still undecided about whether we should or should not have a new map, as I've noticed a wide array of people are looking up to the idea as a positive one).

Also, I need your opinions and discussions on this: 24/7 RP.
I've seen your conversations on the idea, most like it, but I know 24/7 RP isn't everybody's type of cake.
With 24/7 RP would come a couple of things, being;

Economy.
Roles/Jobs. (Refer to Z's thread).
Nicknames (Not Like Frazz, your nickname would be your characters name at all times).
Prefix to names. (For example, King Frazzykins, or Guard Frazzykins, Assassin Frazzykins, Seer Frazzykins, etc etc).
A number of mods to make this easier. (Possibly including leveling mods, economic mods, talking mods).

So, discuss.
Discuss everything.
I want to see what you thing the future holds for this server.
I want to know where you think this server should be going, in what direction.

TL;DR: Put "Cupcake" in your comment, so I can ban you for not reading my thread. :) Thanks.

TheFrazzledKid
Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebirth Of The Dawn Of Time.

Post by Judgement_weasel on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Enough lurking, I think it's time for me to post. I don't like this idea, as simply, sometimes I'd like to be on the server, and not as my character. I've never been on the server because of simply the roleplaying, I think the community is fantastic, and I enjoy OOC conversations with them, as well as roleplaying with them.
(Cupcake)

Judgement_weasel
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazer_ on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't really like the getting a new map idea, but I am not sure about 24/7 RP, I like the idea, but it'd have it's bad bits. So I say No to a new map(If we MUST get a new map, we have no choice but to do it)and I say maybe to 24/7 RP.

Man the server is like caving in on itself... It's... so... so... sad. :'( So many hard decisions atm. D':
Mazer_
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagg-ninja on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 pm

If it becomes 24/7 roleplay then as long as we can chat in a special channel to avoid having brackets then I would love it (Hopefully a plugin would allow us to /join OOC and /Leave OOC and to type /ooc to chat in there, would be ideal IMO)

As for changing the map...... we've worked so much it's a painful thought but if it must be done then please by all means upload the map so we can download it for nostalgia (and completing started projects and explore everything that was actually there)
Lagg-ninja
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 pm

CUPCAKE

Now that I have your attention, I have a few words. A new host IS needed, and must be done. Uploading the new map is... optional, but fair game.
Personally, I want diversity, our RP is like none other, we create a story as we go along, and people are able to change it. Its exciting and you never know what will happen next, perhaps it will get more dull if it goes to full RP such as on other servers.
I want creepers, I'm not quite sure why others don't, it wont cause damage to terrain and it simply adds another mob. It also allows use of TNT with also no downsides. (nothing that couldn't be done anyway).
I want a proper economy mod, it would make things seem more real in many circumstances and I would like to see it.
I can haz cheese?
I would like to see no warps, unless you are a mod/admin and have to keep an eye on people/places, with proper rail stations.
I don't like night, but it is a part of minecraft, deal with it.
Roles, maybe not. Its the kind of thing that people will try to be all of, and there will be controversy over who should do what and where.
People should NOT be able to tppos to far locations to build (nigiki, super) as it lags the server, and is possible partly the reason why the server is in the state it is now. Good work >.>
It has been pointed out, that it is VERY easy to become self-sufficient. Perhaps i should make a mod, which makes you good at certain things, depending on what your character is made for. For example, A miner mines faster, a gatherer collects trees/dirt/neutral mobs faster and a hunter kills faster. (this COULD be done, by not allowing classes use other classes diamond weapons/picks/axes)

Just my 704 cents.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagg-ninja on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Dude I'm 10 minutes from spawn! How's that far?
Lagg-ninja
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

I think our group has gotten used to what we have and won't be accepting of a lot of these changes. The fact is that we are not a hardcore RP server and never set out to be.

I'm ok with economy but I'm strongly against a new map. Things like Darkborne's project(which is on hold until rollbacks stop last I checked) would be lost and I'm very strongly against making illegitimate structures just to make us look good again

We have..5? months into our current map and I feel that no matter what we do rule-wise the map we've all been playing on for so long shows everthing we've done as a community and I don't want to see that lost.

As for the economy thing, I still prefer iron based economy becuase the whole miner/everyone above miner thing isn't going to work out in our server..at least not with the people we have now. We aren't a hardcore RP server, I don't mind hardcore RP but a lot of people do.

Our server is awesome because it is a mix, you can build a house if you want to but you can also choose to start out working for people and work your way up. It's all in how YOU want to play the server and I do not want to see us force people to do anything.

I think the casual RP we do for a few hours daily covers our non-superepicquest roleplaying and I think everyone with a real interest in roleplaying gets their fix through that.

tl;dr no new map, no hardcore rp, no warp removing, no economy mod(we can change to diamond if needed but economy mods suck..sorry)

I like job tags but again I do not want these jobs to be forced, I want a new kid to be able to build a house if they feel like it. We are not going to compare to the super-huge RP servers that can pull these classes off, people are just going to get bored. Our server has a perfect mix right now for what we have to work with. Please consider that before you try and be something we are not.

Oh and this is Minecraft and no matter how many rules we have, people aren't going to be happy living a life of chop tree for 10 minutes->go home-> eat-> spend a few minutes rping with themself->wait for a general agreement that it is bed time->sleep->deliver wood to somewhere->maybe speak to a person or two->repeat..

I voted "WTF GTFO", I will stay either way but regardless I am strongly against being forced to alter what we have when other servers do the same thing. I'll repeat it one last time..we are unique and I love this server for the fact that it has a little bit of everything and does it very well.

Oh yea, I'm also ok with using beds instead of time cmds but only if we're allowed to kick afks. That's the reason we started using /time day in the first place. I remember a time when we slept frequently.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My avatar is now an owlvatar.

"That was Hearthfire citizens and I hate them all." - superscope1 (this message was approved by scope, no propaganda involved)
Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mimmyjambo on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:43 pm

I LIEK TURTLES

Cupcake.

What Wind said. I voted WTF GTFO too. Imo Wind is right.
mimmyjambo
Regular

http://www.jameslittlewood.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by zpallin on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm

I guess I should clarify my suggestion. I can do it through an example and cupcake.

Mazer is... well, mazer... So he got banned from Cerberus, right? Then Wind is now providing a job listing for Cerberus and therefore giving Mazer an opportunity to work his way back into Cerberus, or at least work for Cerberus.

None of this was "IC". None of it was done with ./me. But it is RP. It is plot. It is story line. We are all engaged in it constantly. The only difference between our OOC stuff and our IC stuff is that we have designated them as different.

RP all the time means that all of our actions are RP. We know that we are regarding this world--dawn of time--as our character's reality and we are our character whenever we are on. I already do it and it is not too hard.

The things we need to change are distance talking, roles and rules about exclusively OOC discussions. Change those things and everyone can basically do things as they normally do but with the knowledge that it all adds up.

Forcing people to take their role seriously, however, is not something I agree with. Lightheartedness prevails.

----

And I also do not want to have an economy mod. Our economy should be developed within the game itself; naturally. It is funny how much I agree with Wind, and I feel like I am being misunderstood.

----

I also simply support the new map concept because it seemed necessary due to the 1.8 update. My projects have been fun, but we can move on. Like I said, save the map and let people download it for nostalgia. 1.8 will be an entirely new experience, after all.

Last edited by zpallin on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
zpallin
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagg-ninja on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:49 pm

this begins to sound like more and more of a pain, at first it sounded kindda fun, but now.... I'd stick only cuz it's the only server I play
Lagg-ninja
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by zpallin on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Kairus wrote:CUPCAKE

Now that I have your attention, I have a few words. A new host IS needed, and must be done. Uploading the new map is... optional, but fair game.
Personally, I want diversity, our RP is like none other, we create a story as we go along, and people are able to change it. Its exciting and you never know what will happen next, perhaps it will get more dull if it goes to full RP such as on other servers.
I want creepers, I'm not quite sure why others don't, it wont cause damage to terrain and it simply adds another mob. It also allows use of TNT with also no downsides. (nothing that couldn't be done anyway).
I want a proper economy mod, it would make things seem more real in many circumstances and I would like to see it.
I can haz cheese?
I would like to see no warps, unless you are a mod/admin and have to keep an eye on people/places, with proper rail stations.
I don't like night, but it is a part of minecraft, deal with it.
Roles, maybe not. Its the kind of thing that people will try to be all of, and there will be controversy over who should do what and where.
People should NOT be able to tppos to far locations to build (nigiki, super) as it lags the server, and is possible partly the reason why the server is in the state it is now. Good work >.>
It has been pointed out, that it is VERY easy to become self-sufficient. Perhaps i should make a mod, which makes you good at certain things, depending on what your character is made for. For example, A miner mines faster, a gatherer collects trees/dirt/neutral mobs faster and a hunter kills faster. (this COULD be done, by not allowing classes use other classes diamond weapons/picks/axes)

Just my 704 cents.

I agree with it all except the economy thing.
zpallin
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Please no New Map. After all that has been accomplished in this one, I like many others would not have the heart to start over.

The only reason I can see to change maps is that some people may want to build great, grand things of their own, and feel intimidated into not doing so for some reason or other on the current map. A good thing to note is, even if we did change maps, that would not make it an automatic 'build what you want where you want' thing. If anything, there would be more restrictions as people have become cautious of dead towns and unfinished projects from our time on this map.

Other things like implementing these restrictions can be done on the current map, there is no need for a new one.

I can kind of see some logic behind getting a new map if the update won't let us keep ours, but to what end would that be?
Yes, we get a new mob, yes its awesome. Yes, the height limit may be raised, NPC villages will pop up, and there will be more adventure to the world, but our server already has adventure. Faelar runs our RP, and even when large events aren't happening he will usually have some smaller occurrences like an invasion of Dawnbay (Where I first tested my Ballista's combat capabilities) so that everyone can still have fun.
Kai holds events in his arena, and fighting 60 zombies (Since that larger number lagged everything to oblivion and back) is entertaining to do and watch.
If Sanctuary ends up being attacked and damaged by Ghasts, and not completely destroyed, we will have ruins to explore. We could also build some ruins for people to explore, and I would be more than happy to do as such.
Whilst a greater height limit would be interesting, it is hardly needed. It is more than easy enough to make do with current height limitations.
NPC villages may be interesting to look at originally, but I doubt that they would offer you meaningful conversations or quests. As with the ruins, I would be more than happy to build a couple of small towns (Though we hardly need them, we have plenty of towns for people to travel to and imagine their adventures in as is).
Really, that just leaves the sky dimension and the new Mob. For the sky dimension, if we need one, I'd see if the Aether mod is SMP compatible, if it is, get it and use that. From what I've seen of each, the Aether mod looks far better (It could also provide some interesting RP items for Fae to use, though for such to work The Aether would need to have an admin raid on it early on to clear out all dungeons and take the loot, so that people could not obtain it through a simple trip to the Aether and would instead have to go through RP to obtain said items if Fae so wished. This would also give Fae the supplies to give such items, as they cannot be spawned, only collected from dungeon chests).
The new mob, bring in creepers using Kai's mod and we have a new mob to be scared of. Yes, they may not be as awesome as the Endermen, but I count the server as more awesome than the Endermen, and I'm sure many others would too.

I like Z's idea, however I want to be able to chop down some trees for myself when no woodcutters are online, or get myself some resources when nobody else is allowed to. If we have more large community projects, then a lot of this system will come into play automatically. With my project in Uron'Gar, and several of Wind's projects, we pay others for help. Quite often, the iron or diamonds we gave end up coming back through house purchases or the items gained. I also don't doubt that at least some portion of the payment would go towards tools to allow for the job to be completed quicker. The idea on the whole is a natural evolution of industry, we just have to have an industry for it to work. More large projects mean more time spent gathering materials and such. In really large projects, it is very reasonable to pay others to do this for you. In return, those funds usually get spent on living in that project (if it is a town) or on tools to gather materials for that project. Large projects would of course have to be regulated; we already are sick of new towns, and large creations popping up in close vicinity to other projects would be aggravating for everyone.
What we need more than people to enforce this system is an 'industry booster', where those with the capability (and I'd start to recommend approval) begin to pay others to do some of their work, rather than doing it all themselves.

Warps I would be fine with, and even enthusiastic about, removing warps (though I'd like to see /home and /back kept). However, for this to be even remotely plausible, all towns would need to have a railway leading to them. For some, this is a ludicrous amount of iron to spend (Cerberus, Duskville) not including gold for booster rails and redstone for torches.
For this to work, we would either need large donations of railway tracks for the construction of the rails, or to have the materials spawned (Which I'm sure many people will be against).

I hate the sound of economy plug ins, iron and diamond trade work very well for us. I would be willing to spend a portion of my iron buying diamonds off Wind and from the admin shop (and will likely do that soon anyway) if a change of main currency to diamond is decided upon.

24/7 RP I am all for, in a way. I want to be able to do whatever I want to build my projects, and not be questioned about why my character would do that. I also want to be able to talk OOC at any time, as it can be just plain impractical to talk in Character for absolutely everything. An OOC channel would be good, however put people in the IC chat by default, tell players who are unaware of the rule through /msg and mute any who decide to talk in the IC channel OOC. Also, have OOC able to hear IC, but not vice versa.

No Day/Night changing, I would be fine with if we could convince everyone to get into bed. Any number of times there will be someone on who will decide that 3 seconds is too much time to waste from what they are doing to log out or sleep in a bed that can be warped to. If admins and mods are allowed to kick these players unless they have a good reason for not sleeping (I.E: They NEED night for something to work), then I will accept it.

The nickname suggestions I would be fine with, and as far as I know, at least most of our players nicknames are their character names all the time (As they get their nickname by making a Bio). Prefixes I would also be fine with. It would the kinda cool to see "The Great Frazzled One" send me messages XD.

Levelling is coming in the 1.8 update I believe, but if it turns out we can't update to 1.8 for some reason or other, then I would be very selective about which levelling mods we get. I have used one where after enough levelling it was possible to get gold from digging dirt. That is kind of ridiculous IMO. The levelling should be for abilities related to your 'class' in RP, and should be able to be changed by admins (So things like a full on Warrior cannot cast lightning or fireballs, but can use their warrior abilities).

I also agree with Wind that our server is unique, and that is some of its appeal. If we can keep it unique, and improve upon the other things that make it great, then that is the way I would take the server.

A couple of suggestions I thought of whilst typing this:
Maybe keep warps, however have the command have a cooldown for use (except for for admins, and have /home and /back have their own seperate cooldowns). I'm sure that if this could be done, Kai would be more than happy to make the mod if it doesn't already exist, and it could allow us to have both warps for quick access to places, and yet still have Minecarts be a preferred method of travel as you don't have to 'waste' a warp.

O.K, it was only one suggestion, but I'll add more if I think of them.
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:25 pm

I actually really like the cooldown idea. It lets people travel the long distances but not jump between them freely.

I say a 10 minute cooldown is fair..

And as support for this - Cerberus has over 35 members now - this does include people like Z, Kadafi and Thorbin who probably wouldn't call themselves primary residents any more but it still has a lot of people to support. I will be linking it with Uron'Gar some day but that will literally be a month of work. I'll need about 2 more months on this map to prepare for absolutely no warps, I know the same can be said for Duskville which is the third largest town.

So by completely removing warps I don't think we would be fair to the places that were built before that. If we get a new map..I don't know, I just don't want to think about a new map.

"That was Hearthfire citizens and I hate them all." - superscope1 (this message was approved by scope, no propaganda involved)
Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:50 pm

I personally think our society is fine as is, and the same goes for our map.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Squii on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Wheeind wrote:Giant wall of text and win
This,i can't agree more with this.
Our server has the perfect formula of fun...
Squii
Loot God

http://Pimpturtles.awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Jocc, we can't sit on a server with 1.7.3 for life. If someone accidentally updates, boop, they can never get on our server again! Slowly life would just ebb away from the server, as we wouldn't get any new members. No one wants to join a 1.7.3 server when they could join a server with the 'Big Adventure Update'

Anyway... *cracks knuckles*

Rebirth: I do believe we need something like a rebirth, though maybe not a rebirth but a cleansing. Remove the fat of the server(Inactive towns, plugins we don't need, yadda yadda) and put control on making towns. No offense meant to anyone, but we really need only a couple towns. We have too many towns as it is, and people keep wanting to make more, even older members who can see we have too many. Half of our towns are just ghost towns, with maybe one or two people 'living' in them.

Economy:I don't see why we need one unless we actually do go into Hardcore RP mode. And then, we'd likely have to force this economy onto people, which will not look any good at all. Also, last thing we need is even more plugins if taking them off could help us slow the memory leakage.

Roles/Jobs: I agree with Wind, 'job tags' would be cool, however for the people to do their jobs, it would really have to be forced. No one wants to be the miner, no one wants to be the lumberjack, don't fool yourself if you say you do! You honestly think cutting down trees, replanting them for the whole time you play Minecraft would be fun? It's not. That seems to be what everyone is saying would happen, excuse me if I'm wrong. Case in point; the newbie Thour, he's trying to leave Uron'gar where he's a boring miner to join the Cerberus guard. Everyone wants to be on the guard, it's exciting, you kill stuff, and right now it's where most of the casual roleplaying is at the moment.

Nicknames: This is already happening.

Prefixes: It would be nice. Maybe add in faction stuff to(By faction I mean guild, or town). So like 'Captain Chris' or 'ED Richards' depending on what people want, because everyone has multiple titles they could use. Like Z could use Head of Engineering of Cerberus or Mayor of Sector # of Risen.

24/7 RP: This could happen easily without the need for us to go 'WE ARE HARDCORE RP SURVUR!!1!!!one!!1!!!' In fact it HAS been happening with the Cerberus guard, problem is it's usually only WITH the Cerberus guard. No one else but people in the Cerberus guard seem to be try. And during RPs, everyone tries to barge in, saying 'Screw the roleplay, I want my character to be there!' and just jump in at random times(Like when Richards is trying to talk privately with Chris, or when Wind, Chris and Sarisa were doing guardsmen work. Others were told multiple times to GTFO. Actually, I had to lock the door to the Cerberus guard barracks once). Not to mention 24/7 roleplay would get absolutely silly. Even at the pace we're roleplaying now within the Cerberus guard, it's gotten almost out of hand. Guards creating drama just to keep their character in the loop(Both IC and OOC actually), for example.

I'm just gonna end this here so I can go to Ebay and buy new fingers and eyes.

Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Post by fire_lord_pi on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 am

I feel obligated to make a long cupcakey post because everyone else is, but I will make this short and sweet (or sour):

I would love to see this server hardcore RP, the closer we can get to that, the better.

fire_lord_pi
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazer_ on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:28 am

Joccaren wrote:There I made it short. This is Jocc's post, so if you have no idea what i'm talking about read it on the first page. I don't know if I am allowed to do this. :<
Woah, That my friend was FULL of win. And yes, if we got a new map, do you know what'd hit me the hardest, losing Uron'Gar, it's just an AMZING city IMO, I'd HATE to have it gone and build a new one(If we did build a new one, it just wouldn't be the same).
And losing my diamonds and valuables(Practically all of my items). =3

And I like it when we all get into beds(Try to anyway =P =3), it's so crackup! Sometimes it'd take all night to get everyone in a bed, so when we saw dawn coming whilst we were trying to get everybody in beds, we just gave up and went back to whatever we were doing. XD

Anyways, On-Topic here, I agree with Jocc(Probably most of it anyway).

Last edited by Mazer_ on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Mazer_
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagg-ninja on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 am

Dude...... Why the heck did you quote the whole thing? that's humongous for nothing if you quote someone and they have this much text you cut it at one point And add some form of telling you cut like (...) -snip- stuff like that. please don,t quote humongous text like that
Lagg-ninja
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddwarf on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Money: Sure, as long as it is not too advanced. Shop areas could be in some shops where you can /buy and /sell items. (Not like selling 5 gazillions of cobblestone to become richest man/woman in the server as I did on a server i played on back in Beta 1.2)
"/pay [Name or Nickname] 20"

Titles: YES but only if it is given to really important roleplay characters. (Warlords, war heroes, high rank guards, royal people...)

New map: Yes please.

Nicknames: I still find it confusing when somebodys nickname is "Cupcake" and their minecraft username is "Bread". Make a command to find out who this and that nickname belongs to, like "/checkname Cupcake" (Message pops up in your chat:) "Bread's nickname is Cupcake." Thanks, Lagg. /whois Oddwarf

MODS: Just don't put in too many.

24/7 hardcore roleplay: One word: YES. (That was technicially three words, but whatever.)

Last edited by Oddwarf on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oddwarf
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lagg-ninja on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:57 pm

/whois

That's how you know who's who
Lagg-ninja
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddwarf on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Oh, thank you. :)
Oddwarf
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:21 am

I wouldn't be able to do hardcore rp but if it's anything like say actually talking all awesome all the time then sure :P
but can I talk all Victorian?

[4:42:47 PM] Superscope1: Raptor, stop failed.
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kairus on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:33 am

Can haz troll?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Kairus
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 am

I'm sure someone will figure out how to convert 1.7< maps to 1.8 anyway. I doubt being -forced- to change maps will be an issue..

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum