Hells yeah, I need Terraria.

Heh, hey, don't forget you have to contend with me. Notch

Darkborne
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Contest to win a copy of Terraria!

Post by Wheeind on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:35 pm

No Sam.

I will trust that everyone is starting from scratch, you're welcome to invite me to see your project but it does not have to be revealed until July 1st.

However, if you will not be online then you must submit it early. The prize will likely be given out a day or two after but I want time to have all the judges see it and give input.

Just to make this clear: That means any project not submitted by July 2nd will be disqualified. You can submit your project tomorrow if you want but that's your deadline.

Btw, I still need one more judge. If you don't plan to participate and think you can be around July 1st to give your opinions PM me. :D

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My avatar is now an owlvatar.

"That was Hearthfire citizens and I hate them all." - superscope1 (this message was approved by scope, no propaganda involved)
Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamJul on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:51 am

Well, let me tell you it has something to do with a town, is very expensive in real life, you might not get one actually, and has a lot of rooms.
SamJul
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfkid0 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 am

i want to participate but i dont want the prize i just want to win. give the prize to the most desrviing
wolfkid0
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:49 am

Entered, Wolf. If you win the prize will go to second place.

"That was Hearthfire citizens and I hate them all." - superscope1 (this message was approved by scope, no propaganda involved)
Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fire_lord_pi on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:26 am

Which would be better to make a massive tower: cobble, cobble/mossy cobble, or smooth stone? Just a randon question i want an opinoin on. :)

fire_lord_pi
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by superscope1 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 am

Can't give you any tips that would help you over other people. Sorry :D

superscope1
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:07 am

fire_lord_pi wrote:Which would be better to make a massive tower: cobble, cobble/mossy cobble, or smooth stone? Just a randon question i want an opinoin on. :)

Well, I'm not sure. Depends on what the theme of the tower is. I made an 18000 block tower of obsidian in SSP (Yes, I hacked for the obsidian. It would have taken literal days of mining otherwise)
Spoiler:
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
If the tower were to look anything like that, I'd have a mix of mossy cobble and cobble, but it really all depends on what its going to look like to look like.
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Because of the temp map I've extended all the times a little. I'd like to have you guys submit your entries on July 1st but I realize that may not be possible for all of you. I'll wait until we're closer to entry time and see how many people plan to be ready on the original date.

Also, I've extended signup a little. It will end in 3 days(June 14th), past then I'll only be taking entries from people who PM me assuring me they will make something worthy of the contest with a shorter amount of time. I reserve the right to reject anyone once these 3 days have passed - I don't want half done entries or rushed projects.

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dethane on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:35 am

I'm so hyped for this!
Dethane
Regular

http://confluxofemotions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:52 am

Signup is ending tomorrow, folks!

Also, Sam has dropped out of the competition and sent me a good pm about why he would like to be a judge. He has now been changed over putting us at 5 entries.

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dethane on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 am

Wheeind wrote:Signup is ending tomorrow, folks!

Also, Sam has dropped out of the competition and sent me a good pm about why he would like to be a judge. He has now been changed over putting us at 5 entries.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Dethane
Regular

http://confluxofemotions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Bumpidy Bump for great bumpness.

The new official end date is July 3rd, Joccaren requested it due to RL issues and I was planning to extend the time a bit because of the problems with rollbacks and the temp map that cut into the original time frame.

I will take requests to extend the time even more if it's really needed. Don't request it because you'd rather work x day instead of a day that falls into the current limitations. If you request a time extension I expect a reason beyond laziness.

Also, I will be requiring a bit of writing. Nothing fancy but you're required to write at least a couple sentences about your inspiration when going into your project. You can get as detailed as you want, screenshots/back story are optional.

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrikon on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:05 am

dammit! thats when i go on holidays, i'll have to find out hte winner over in queensland D:
Warrikon
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by justicewarrior88 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Well I got the idea for my Castle when I realized that our server didn't really have a Medieval Castle and town. So I took out a piece of paper and drew a few squares on it. A large square for the walls, square in the middle for the castle, a fountian near the entrance of the town, roads along the sides and front of the castle with shops and house. That was my idea and it was all scribbled down on some white notepad paper. (It was really late at night so sorry for the crappy drawing I'm not an artist)

So I found an empty place, and by empty I mean full of trees and hills, and I started clearing things away. I picked a place that had a large mountain top behind it because I wanted a waterfall to be coming down off the top of the mountian creating a water moat. I had it all in my head what is was going to look like. And now as I get closer and closer to being finished it is beginning to look just like I pictured it, everything laid out just like the paper showed.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who I hired to clear away land, and to thoes who sold me supplies, Ya'll have helped me very very much.

As I add the finishing touches I am happy to say that win or lose I am extreamly proud of what I have made!

(EDIT) The Cords to Tenendale are X:801 Y:65 Z:255

Last edited by justicewarrior88 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding Cords)

justicewarrior88
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Ok guys, we're getting close to that time.

You will have 3 days when the map comes back, that's 3 days to finish up and/or incorporate pistons. Your project obviously doesn't have to be 100% complete to be entered, everyone has had interruptions through this and I honestly dont expect to see final, never going to be changed again projects by the end.

The format for entries will be similar to what Justice posted above(I'll accept that as your post for entry as long as you make a couple changes):

Back story/inspiration: can just be a couple sentences if you want
Screenshots: optional
Coordinates of your project: required, if for some reason you want to keep them private PM me and I will redirect the coords to the judges

And as an update on the judges:

SamJul has failed to PM me back after a while, I can't be sure he will show for the end of this so Scope is now taking his place in judging.

This leaves us with Frazz, Raptor, Scope, Dethane and I as judges. We will all be judging based on what we want to see in the projects, hopefully this will make things as fair as possible.

There will be a first, second and third place but as it stands second and third will have no prize.

Good luck guys, I hope you can all get your projects to a presentable state on time.

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fire_lord_pi on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:15 pm

*stares at castle

*wishes he had devoted that much time to his project

*will have to buy his own copy of Terraria

fire_lord_pi
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:25 pm

fire_lord_pi wrote:*stares at castle

*wishes he had devoted that much time to his project

*will have to buy his own copy of Terraria

Are you trying to say you're dropping out? You need to be clear about this stuff.

Also, even if you don't win you always have a chance at the top 3.

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReceptiveRaptor on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:08 am

When do we judge?

[4:42:47 PM] Superscope1: Raptor, stop failed.
ReceptiveRaptor
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:30 am

I'll talk to you in Skype about it - 3 days after the normal map comes back up the contest will end, there will be a 1 day judging period.

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:06 am

Sorry to double post but I'm bumping this for great justice and all of that stuff.

Anyway, there's now a steam-related surprise second place prize and a bonus to first place. Hopefully you guys will like it.

Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superscope1 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:09 am

You can thank Wind's golden coin for the bonus prize everyone XD

superscope1
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Joccaren on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 am

Well, the idea of a Dwarven City originally came from my SSP world. I had built my entire base underground, digging through mountains to make passages and rooms so as to avoid having to venture outside with the creepers too often, and decided that I might as well build a proper city rather than a veritable maze of passages, that for some reason Cappy had difficulty navigating, and as such I dug a staircase to 10 above bedrock and begun to build/dig. In the end, my 'city' became greatly limited due to nearby caverns, lava and bedrock, and ended up being rather small.

When I joined the server, I took a look at Earthhaven, hoping to find something similar to what I had tried to build in SSP, only better. Whilst more organised, it was abandoned and made of tight passages and a few small rooms. I had begun digging a mine nearby to gather the resources I'd need to trade and build on the server.

Already having made plans with Capsnip to build the Hyperion, I started to store cobble and had Warrikon and Capsnip help me dig the base of the mine. The next day, when the base of the mine, and a sizable cavern, had been dug, we set out in search of a location to build the Hyperion. Warri followed us and decided to build Sisyphean underneath the Hyperion.

Knowing that, for the moment, the server had more than enough towns (and probably still does), I abandoned the idea of the city, with the exception of walking North from the Hyperion one night when it was midway through construction, and using the old 'gravel glitch' to locate an area with very few caverns around it and placed a marker (The original statue out the front). It was around this time Leif joined the server. He too had aspirations of building a Dwarven city, and he seemed to have the determination to make a 'proper' one, so I left him to that, and continued work on the Hyperion.

Through the occasional chat with Leif when we were both online, it appeared that he was making progress, leaving me more time to finish off the Hyperion. However, Leif disappeared not long after, and not much happened to his project. By now, the Hyperion was basically finished, and I needed a new project to work on. I had set the statue up North as home, for if I ever needed a location to build something, and decided that I might as well build the city. If people ended up liking it and wanted to live there, I would happily pay the price, and if not, I would re purpose it for whatever I would need it for.

I had designed the city shortly before joining the server, originally planning to build it in SSP, but instead choosing to build it on the server, and thus begun to dig out the first two entrance rooms. A few days later, Wind announced this contest, and as the Hyperion couldn't be entered, I decided to enter the city instead. I quickly helped Cappy finish off the Hyperion, and run a few tests with the Yamato, freeing up time for him to help me dig. I offered Warri as much cobblestone as he dug for his city in return for helping me, and any excess I didn't need/couldn't sell.

Throughout most of the month, and with the help of many people, I managed to get the main cavern dug. Two days before it was finished, it was Kairus's birthday, and we had a celebration, with Frazz bringing cake around for everyone. After he had finished handing out cake, he returned to my cavern and turned the entire floor into cakes. Fae came along and we all had a bit of a party killing zombies, skeles and giants whilst eating the endless supply of cake. Frazz reverted the room back to what it was before the so called 'Cake Room' or 'Candyland', and I resumed digging. Once the cave was finished, I began to build the platforms that would house the pathways and structures for the city. About half way through this process, Frazz came on and turned the walls and floor of the room to glowstone, providing an amazing sight, before reverting it back to normal.

Having now finished the mining, I instead offered Warri a diamond and some iron in return for his work, asking that he remake the walls in Stone, removing the gravel and dirt patches that lined the cave. Since then, I asked people for help, and got them to work on small things throughout the city. Eventually, I asked Mazer for help, and he came across to the city and decided to help with it until it was finished (which, for any city, is never). He quickly became the city's main lava courier, and most of the lava in the city will have come from him.

The main chamber of the city is now nearing 'completion', and houses, shops and city management buildings line the passages. Whilst currently only 3 people (including myself) populate it, there is room for 21 (Somewhere around there, the server is down so I can't count) people to live before expansion, which will occur if needed.

TL;DR: I built a Dwarven City.

A special Thanks to Kairus, for providing (through trade of course) almost all of the diamonds needed for my 36 diamond picks used in this project, to Mazer, Wind, Capsnip and Thorbin for bringing a ton of lava for the lava lakes, to Thorbin for Making the most of the mountains on the surface, to Oddwarf for making the furnace, and for his suggestions on how to improve the city and to everyone that helped with this project. This would never have been done without you.

Co-ordinates:
Out Front Entrance; Go along the mountain passage, and through the doors to enter the city.
Warp to Uron'Gar

Pics:
(Taken With TTexture Pack LB Photo Realism 64 [would have used 256, but my Java is throwins a few fits atm])
{Nooo, it cut out the right side of the images. Oh well, also, there is a line of text [or at least should be] stating what each pic is of, I believe it is white for some reason or other though, and thus needs to be highlighted to read}
Spoiler:

Surface Landscape:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Surface Entrance:

Main Chamber (Panorama?):

Window View of Main Chamber (From Capsnip's Manor):

Town Hall:

Public Library:

Furnace:

Darn, forgot to get one of the tavern....

Floor of my Palace entry Chamber (Forgot to put a sign there, so this should allow you to see which building it is, even though it isn't quite finished yet [nowhere near decorated]):

Whoever wins this contest, building my entry has been one of the best experiences I've had in Minecraft, and I hope you all like it. Good luck everyone, it will be very interesting seeing what we all come up with.

Last edited by Joccaren on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Joccaren
Regular

Location : Melbourne, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, The Orion Spur, The Milkyway Galaxy, the Local Group, the Virgo Supercluster, the Virgo-Hydra-Centaurus Suplercluster, The Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, The Observable Universe, The Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by justicewarrior88 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Just added the Cords to Tenendale!

justicewarrior88
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFrazzledKid on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:55 pm

"Two days before it was finished, it was Kairus's birthday, and we had a celebration, with Frazz bringing cake around for everyone."

Win.

Can't wait to see how the city turns out, though. :D
Should be amazing.

TheFrazzledKid
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top