» Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings
Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Tue May 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Needless to say, our city is going to need quite a few buildings to get off the ground. We've also decided that we're going to need to figure out the size and appearance of our buildings before we get to laying down roads in our districts as well. As such, I'm asking for our own civil engineers (and the community, of course) to help out with drafting possible buildings that we can build so we can plop them down in our city and build our roads, parks, and whatnot around them. Please note that each particular district has a distinct style that we've decided to go for; however, suggestions are always welcome, and some moderate deviation from the standard style is welcome. The majority of our buildings will be put down in particular districts.

List of our current planned districts: We're welcoming suggestions regarding the placement of districts and their styles, or discussion on new districts/removing districts from our agenda.
Government/Diplomatic district - We have a location for this in front of the main lake. The general scheme will be stone texturing/glass, with more formal-looking buildings. It will likely be rather compact, given the somewhat small space we have for it.
Military district - No location chosen yet. No scheme decided yet, though I'd guess it'd be very stone-based.
Trade district - Must be near/along the ocean coast. No scheme decided yet, though it'd probably be very nautical by nature.
Industrial district - No location chosen yet. No scheme decided yet.
(Wood) Elven district - Around the jungle peninsula. No scheme decided yet, though I'd like to preserve most of the jungle trees around the area.
Dwarven district - No location chosen yet. No scheme, other than the underground construction ideals.
Residential district - No location chosen yet, though we think the flat plains on the opposite side of the government district may be a good candidate. No scheme decided yet, though I'd suspect there'd be a whole mishmash of styles.
Farming district - No location chosen yet, though I think the area beyond the residential district may work. No scheme decided yet... then again, it's just farms, how hard can that be?
Tourism district - This is new: will include things like a public gambling house, hotels, spa-like stuffs, and so on.

List of our currently planned buildings: We welcome blueprints for the following buildings, or volunteer construction which can be done in the city, which we'll cut and paste according to where it needs to go. In addition, suggestions for buildings we can make are also welcome; you can also post suggestions for reference pictures we can base things off of. (make sure the reference pictures aren't too unreasonable and are practical to get done in Minecraft)
Town Hall
Post Office
Guardhouse/Barracks
Church & Crypt
Hospital
Library
Public Smithy
Marketplace
Lighthouse
Theater
Tavern (the main one is claimed by AJ, though I don't see why we can't have multiple taverns)
Brewery
Guild/Diplomatic Embassies
Mines
Seaports/Piers
Sewers
Black Market
Mage College
University
Grade School
Farms
Prison

Last edited by BlazeZeroThree on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings

Post by Mazer_ on Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 am

Hrm well. *cough* Dwarven district.. I think you've found your man. I have to volunteer though right? I'll go on and do that.
Mazer_
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ashblossom on Wed May 29, 2013 1:45 am

I'd be willing to help build a Library, Lighthouse, the Mines, or Seaports/Piers, unless someone else would rather do them. Though I would guess the Dwarven District would be where the mines are... At least, stereotypes imply.

I don't really know what district the library would go in (Elven would be cool, with the jungle trees). The Lighthouse and Seaports are rather obvious. I'd also like to maybe build some parks once everything is situated. If you need/want my help, feel free to ask.
ashblossom
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Wed May 29, 2013 2:35 am

Mazer_ wrote:Hrm well. *cough* Dwarven district.. I think you've found your man. I have to volunteer though right? I'll go on and do that.

I would ask that you apply to be a civil engineer before working directly on city land.

ashblossom wrote:I'd be willing to help build a Library, Lighthouse, the Mines, or Seaports/Piers, unless someone else would rather do them. Though I would guess the Dwarven District would be where the mines are... At least, stereotypes imply.

I don't really know what district the library would go in (Elven would be cool, with the jungle trees). The Lighthouse and Seaports are rather obvious. I'd also like to maybe build some parks once everything is situated. If you need/want my help, feel free to ask.

The seaport/piers are possibly going to go along the shoreline to the north of the warp point, so we'll be figuring out how best to terraform the area, considering it's bunched up against cliffs--that is, unless you're comfortable building the docks and seaport along cliffsides. As for the mines/Dwarven district, I'd imagine that the district itself would have a mine or two, though we can certainly have other mines, say, in the industrial district. As for libraries, I would think we would have a library near the university; of course, it's also possible for us to multiple libraries in different parts of town, wherever appropriate.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashblossom on Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 am

The seaport/piers are possibly going to go along the shoreline to the north of the warp point, so we'll be figuring out how best to terraform the area, considering it's bunched up against cliffs--that is, unless you're comfortable building the docks and seaport along cliffsides. As for the mines/Dwarven district, I'd imagine that the district itself would have a mine or two, though we can certainly have other mines, say, in the industrial district. As for libraries, I would think we would have a library near the university; of course, it's also possible for us to multiple libraries in different parts of town, wherever appropriate.

I'm perfectly fine with building the ports along cliffs- in fact, I love the idea. The libraries/mines I can build wherever you deem fit, and if there's a size limit I can swing with it. Multiple libraries sound great, maybe multiple libraries each specializing in a different subject... If you want an example of the kind of mines I build, go to the ravine by Meredan.
ashblossom
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Wed May 29, 2013 3:16 am

ashblossom wrote:I'm perfectly fine with building the ports along cliffs- in fact, I love the idea. The libraries/mines I can build wherever you deem fit, and if there's a size limit I can swing with it. Multiple libraries sound great, maybe multiple libraries each specializing in a different subject... If you want an example of the kind of mines I build, go to the ravine by Meredan.

In that case, you're certainly welcome to build a small sample of work for constructing the port area; I'll probably come on later and take a look at it to see if it's good. If it is, then I'll be happy to let you extend the sample to fit the district as needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by cavetrekkr on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 am

I would put the post office in the Trade district - it seems to me like, as a commerce and shipping business, it belongs there. I'm working on some harbor/port-inspired designs for it and maybe a warehouse, although I'm not necessarily calling dibs on those.

If you want some nice uniform houses for the housing district, I have a modern-looking design that should fit in. I can build one server-side if you're interested.

I suppose we could divide Residential into 2 sections: "freebuild" where people have more flexibility with their house designs, and "planned" where the buildings are either built by city planners or built by citizens under strict style guidelines. It would give people a choice between the "official" Dawnfire look and the traditional creative approach.

I'm going to recommend the region around [1660, -1450] for either the Military or Dwarven district. It already has a natural stone setting for the Military style, and has water access. It seems to me that a boot camp could be constructed in that area.

On the other hand, it might be better to put Military on the field west of Gov't, as the guards would be headquartered much closer to key buildings. Then, the Dwarven district could use the other location, and maybe even incorporate some of the aboveground rock formations.

Last edited by superscope1 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Combined the double post into one.)
cavetrekkr
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by spiffzombie on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 am

I can build farms and the church/crypt. You could even copy and paste my old church and crypt to where you want it, I will just do some modifications for it. If i am permitted at building a church/crypt, I would like to request enough room for the church and a graveyard please.

I can also take a crack at the prison. I can also build other small things like shops and stall if needed.

spiffzombie
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm

cavetrekkr wrote:I would put the post office in the Trade district - it seems to me like, as a commerce and shipping business, it belongs there. I'm working on some harbor/port-inspired designs for it and maybe a warehouse, although I'm not necessarily calling dibs on those.
I'll discuss this soon with the council, it seems like a reasonable idea.

cavetrekkr wrote:If you want some nice uniform houses for the housing district, I have a modern-looking design that should fit in. I can build one server-side if you're interested.
Sounds good! If possible, try to schedule a time with me so I can watch your construction and give you creative mode to get your buildings done. I was thinking, though, of having multiple housing districts, each with their own unique variant of style.

cavetrekkr wrote:I suppose we could divide Residential into 2 sections: "freebuild" where people have more flexibility with their house designs, and "planned" where the buildings are either built by city planners or built by citizens under strict style guidelines. It would give people a choice between the "official" Dawnfire look and the traditional creative approach.

I'm going to recommend the region around [1660, -1450] for either the Military or Dwarven district. It already has a natural stone setting for the Military style, and has water access. It seems to me that a boot camp could be constructed in that area.

On the other hand, it might be better to put Military on the field west of Gov't, as the guards would be headquartered much closer to key buildings. Then, the Dwarven district could use the other location, and maybe even incorporate some of the aboveground rock formations.
Will discuss with council.

spiffzombie wrote:I can build farms and the church/crypt. You could even copy and paste my old church and crypt to where you want it, I will just do some modifications for it. If i am permitted at building a church/crypt, I would like to request enough room for the church and a graveyard please.

I can also take a crack at the prison. I can also build other small things like shops and stall if needed.
I think this time around, we'll be wanting a more modest-looking church, so I'm not sure the same design as NC's old church will cut it this time around. As for farms, we still need to figure out where to designate the agricultural districts, but when that happens, we'll let you know. I would also think that our graveyard will be separate from our church this time around.

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 am

Just an update: I'm letting people know that if they want to see their house included in the upcoming freebuild residential district, please PM me on the forums or let me know in-game about drafting your own house. I will give you creative mode and the space to build your home; if it looks good, I'll plop it down in the residential district. In addition, if you build it personally, there will be no charge for the land/housing. Oh, and we're deciding we'll be getting a tourism district, complete with unnecessary shops, a gambling house, resort, and so on.

Back to top Go down

Post by spiffzombie on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 pm

If no one else want to do it, may i build the sewers and black market?

spiffzombie
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Not yet. Both the sewers and the black market require the city to be mostly developed, since there's no way they can be put down like a regular building. I don't anticipate being able to do anything with the sewers/black market for a while, unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Assasin_Frost on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am

Can you include a bakery for Tobias.

Assasin_Frost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: