[ 16 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
6% 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 17

A Returning Idea

Post by Sealand on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:07 pm

It should be pretty obvious to everyone by now that the server isn't as active as it use to be in the old days. Days where everyday after school we'd all meet each other online and RP until the cows come home. Now, the server is rather lucky if two people are on it at once in the evening. Most people only come in to do events, perhaps staying a little while to watch the RP that happens afterwards and then get off for another month or more, when they're called into to do another event. I thought perhaps I could remedy this by reigniting the thread on the Minecraft Forums, and obtaining new members. Despite keeping it up for several weeks, I received no new applications.

So I came up with an idea, one that I had brought up when we were first beginning on this new map. Condensing the towns to a single, large Utopian-esque city. A place where we can condense the roleplay into a single area, instead of having two separate places. It's become a normal problem that people have characters in one city, and are unable to effectively RP simply because the current RP is in the other city. An example would be my character, Danlaes, being a Hearthfire Guardsman, wouldn't appear in New Cerberus unexpectedly. As such he would generally be unable to meet people like Chris, Animus, Calisto, etc.

I wanted to present this idea before truly working on details. Some people have already been helping in the planning for where this Utopia would be, as well as what would happen to the current towns. We will be keeping it on this map rather than creating another map, as we already have a lot built on this map. This won't effect guilds or buildings outside, unless their makers wish.

I just want everyone's opinion on this before anything truly comes out. While you don't have to post, it would be preferred to get everyone's voice out. If anyone has any questions or grievances, please by all means post them.

-Sea

Last edited by Sealand on Mon May 06, 2013 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Re: A Returning Idea

Post by Tengard on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I find that this is what the server needs, and agree with it full-heartedly. It would be nice to actually have all the characters closer together, and allow everyone to RP with the majority of all the characters.... I miss the old days, and I think this has potential to bring them back. LONG LIVE THE DAWNLANDS!!!

"Rusk: The kind of man who would "act" like he just stole your baby child's lollipop." -Scope.

Tengard, the master of "Nope let's make the characters as UNHAPPY as possible..."

Nihilum, the evolved form of Rusk. Commonly found in dimensions of sheer awesomeness, this Pokemon takes to flying over noobs after a hearty lunch of enchiladas. Needless to say, a swarm is considered a bad sign in many cultures.
Tengard
SMP Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:09 pm

*Quietly pats a manilla folder labelled "Diabolical plan"*

If we go through with this, I know juuuust how to do the transition.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ashblossom on Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 am

I like this idea a lot, but most of the voting should probably be done by people who actually live in the cities. Since they will be the ones most affected, and all. Then there's Frostweave and the other smaller cities to consider as well. Are those gonna go bye-bye too?

But, it would definitely be more convenient for everyone. I'm pretty much all for it.

ashblossom
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Wed May 01, 2013 2:44 am

I would certainly say yes to the idea, as I've volunteered to be one of the engineers in this town. I'm very happy to see many others sign up as well to help out with construction so we can have some more variety in our towns, as opposed to a single engineer; with more people consolidated into one city, hopefully this means we can get much more done much faster. Bringing our community together as well should also help with our own activity and giving newcomers a more cohesive place to start out in and RP with. Perhaps when we have enough of a server population (read: very large) then we might be able to authorize secondary cities, but for now, I think starting from square one with a better foundation is a good idea, and I hope others will agree.
BlazeZeroThree
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wheeind on Wed May 01, 2013 3:00 am

If this is the path you guys want to take I have nothing to add, at least not until I am able to play again. Good luck.

My avatar is now an owlvatar.

"That was Hearthfire citizens and I hate them all." - superscope1 (this message was approved by scope, no propaganda involved)
Wheeind
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 am

Then there's Frostweave and the other smaller cities to consider as well. Are those gonna go bye-bye too?

I think that, as they are not official cities, they can choose to be excluded from demolition or voluntarily assimilate into the Utopia/Capital/Kingdom.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 am

Faelar Laelither wrote:
Then there's Frostweave and the other smaller cities to consider as well. Are those gonna go bye-bye too?

I think that, as they are not official cities, they can choose to be excluded from demolition or voluntarily assimilate into the Utopia/Capital/Kingdom.
Aye. Places like Frostweave, Thraften and guilds like Sangrienta Fe/Dreamwalkers will be untouched.

It would of course be preferred if Frostweave joined in, but not necessary. Though you're forewarned that you may have a long walk ahead of you if you're from these places and wish to go to this new city.

Sealand

Back to top Go down

Post by ashblossom on Wed May 01, 2013 5:13 am

Also.. *cough*

This may be jumping the gun a bit, so to speak...

But we ought to come up with a name... Utopia is a bit bland. I suppose we can vote on a name, see if there's one that just sounds amazing.

Ekron, Elioenai, Aesah, Sunspray, Fallowind, Athaliah, Sentrek, Sunbeam, Dawnpeak, etc. are just some off the top of my head... Any other suggestions? We could also just reuse a town name. Either way.
ashblossom
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Wed May 01, 2013 5:25 am

Yeah, coming up with a name will become a part of this. So far we're 8/0 on doing this, which is good.

We'll also be likely voting on a plot of land and a leader to run the city.

Sealand

Back to top Go down

Post by ashblossom on Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 am

Teng found a nice area that I and Maynard agree is awesome. Pretty much the only one that fits so far as well. There's a certain spot with a tall waterfall and an inlet I just plain love. Coordinates below (not for the inlet):

z -1394
ashblossom
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by BlazeZeroThree on Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 am

I've inspected the area proposed by Teng yesterday and I think it's a fairly good spot, but I really think we should have some more options before we make a choice. Help with finding additional areas would be greatly appreciated; if you find any areas of note, then feel free to post their coordinates in this thread for consideration. Please keep the following in mind:

The area should not be too close to desert or mountain biomes, or any biomes that clash. (eg. snow/jungle next to deserts)
The area should be buildable. This means that there should be decent areas of relatively flat space. While I can heavily modify the landscape with WorldEdit to make it buildable or to look nicer, I think it'd be smart if we didn't make the land look too unnatural.
BlazeZeroThree
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Syupweque on Thu May 02, 2013 1:28 am

If I may, I would like to volunteer to work heavily on the farming sector of the new city when it comes time.

Syupweque

Back to top Go down

Post by ashblossom on Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 am

I'll help in any way I can as well. From decor to livestock to rollercoasters, I'm your girl.
ashblossom
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by spiffzombie on Thu May 02, 2013 7:50 am

Would I still get a farm and Spiff's house of slaughter when i rejoin the server after finals net week?

spiffzombie
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 am

What do you mean Spiff? By no means is this happening too soon, we still have a lot of things to detail...

Sealand

Back to top Go down

Post by spiffzombie on Thu May 02, 2013 8:47 am

Well I was saying that I'm al;l for anything as long as I can farm and slaughter animals at my own will :D

spiffzombie
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by cavetrekkr on Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 am

I was all for the multiple cities idea at the start, but seeing as how things have been going, a single city would probably be better. In fact, I haven't been on much recently because... other people haven't either.
cavetrekkr
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 am

spiffzombie wrote:Well I was saying that I'm al;l for anything as long as I can farm and slaughter animals at my own will :D
So you just want your own place again? Honestly that big of a place would be up to whomever is running the city.

However, seeing as your place is just outside of town rather than truly in the 'populated' areas. I would think we can spare it from the blasts if need be...

Sealand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Fri May 03, 2013 8:21 am

double post, fuq da police

Just spent over an hour(maybe two) flying around the edge of the large ocean behind the Spawn Area. Large as fuck by the way, but we've got some good candidates for areas the Utopia can be placed. To all mods and admins, these are warps. You can just do /warp Utopia#

Curious as to people's thoughts on if we should pick the area as a group, or leave it to the leader? Seeing as we're at a solid 100% unanimous vote on doing this, I think we're going to go through with it...

Sealand

Back to top Go down

Post by Syupweque on Sat May 04, 2013 1:03 am

I think we should vote on it, I like the sound of that.

Syupweque

Back to top Go down

Post by ashblossom on Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 am

*agrees with Syupweque*
ashblossom
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by SelectorOfSouls on Sat May 04, 2013 10:35 am

I like the idea, but it doesn't really solve the problem. The main issue is that we are primarily listed as a Role-Playing server. People don't come onto the server much because there's no events to Role-Play. I think if Role-Play was a constant thing and not a "-RP START-/-RP END-" like it is now for events, then a lot more people would log in because everyone would be RP'ing all the time. Seeing as that's the reason people log onto the server in the first place, I don't really see why we shouldn't do it. My point is that even if you make a "utopia"-type place, the people still won't log on because if there isn't RP, they feel like they are wasting their time. Most events restrict armor/weapons to iron and below and Iron is pretty easy to find, so people don't log in to mine much either. Also, when people want to build there are other servers, singleplayer, and even creative mode. Usually people stop building once they've built their house/farms.

TL;DR I like the idea, but it doesn't solve the problem of people not being online.

SelectorOfSouls
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Sat May 04, 2013 11:20 am

I think if Role-Play was a constant thing and not a "-RP START-/-RP END-" like it is now for events, then a lot more people would log in because everyone would be RP'ing all the time.

Turning the server into a hardcore RP server would not be beneficial. Increased quantity would decrease quality.

Now, the iron and below restriction applied for the sake of balance. It was a necessary rule for events to function- but now plugins exist that can allow me to discard that old rule.

Also, as for the whole inactivity thing..*Points his thumb behind him to college*
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by superscope1 on Sat May 04, 2013 11:40 am

Sealand wrote:double post, fuq da police

Just spent over an hour(maybe two) flying around the edge of the large ocean behind the Spawn Area. Large as fuck by the way, but we've got some good candidates for areas the Utopia can be placed. To all mods and admins, these are warps. You can just do /warp Utopia#

#1 The area looks good, but it would require quite a bit of messing with the terrain which is a little troublesome. Other than that, I like it.
#2 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
#3 The cliffs are too high and the desert conflicts with the rest of it :P
#4 Same as 3
#5 Looks nice, could support a large city, only problem is the desert, and the small mountain biome.
#6 Same as 5 :P
#7 Same as #1

WHY DO ALL OF THEM HAVE A DESERT.

Sealand wrote:Curious as to people's thoughts on if we should pick the area as a group, or leave it to the leader? Seeing as we're at a solid 100% unanimous vote on doing this, I think we're going to go through with it...

It's a town for everyone, so let everyone decide :P

SelectorOfSouls wrote:-snip-

We've been active for over a year (and I mean truly active) and have been running for two. The problem does not lie in the roleplay, otherwise the server wouldn't have lasted more than a couple of months. We're a "casual" RP server, not hardcore, and we never will be a hardcore server as long as I'm the owner.
Everyone is more than welcome to start RP'ing at their own will, people just don't do it.

superscope1
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum