» ..o_o
Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 am by Faelar Laelither

» Hello?
Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 am by Warrikon

» Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings
Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

Suggestions for Building Rules and Regulations for the new world.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestions for Building Rules and Regulations for the new world.

Post by zpallin on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 am

So, I really like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I thought I should add a bit to it...

Goal: To encourage RP, indoctrinate newcomers, and encourage development structured around enhancing RP.

I realize everyone here does a great job at this already, but there have been some disagreements in the past about how to execute things.

Nation Ranks: Simpler than technological rankings. I've made a similar suggestion to this in the past.
1. Village: No larger than one chunk in area and on the surface level only. Anyone can build a village, but villages are not protected from the cleansers (I'll explain later).

2. Town: 5 or more people enlisted within. It can essentially be any size, but if it gets "too big" by mod standards, the cleansers will do their part...

3. City: 10 or more. In the rarity that this occurs, a city can essentially be any size. Obviously, Cerberus and New Cerberus would have been considered such. Keep 10 citizens and you are immune from cleansers and can expand indefinitely (if necessary, which it is not).

Cleansers: Kind of like a mandatory military, everyone is required to become a cleanser. A cleanser could easily be worked in as some sort of international agency that coordinates with all cities to reduce clutter and preserve the environment.

Cleansers will be solicited by the Grand Cleanser (rotating position, I assume) who will be sent on assignments to do a variety of things. As part of the international pact, any citizen of any lawful town must be a cleanser, so it'll be like a draft.

Examples of duties include:
1. Breaking down unsightly or abandoned buildings made by noobs.
2. Breaking down towns, villages, and cities or parts of them that don't meet code.
3. Building roads and rails between cities and towns.
4. Dungeon and ruins construction assignments from time to time.
5. Terra-forming and other environmental restructuring.

With the cleansers will come a school and barracks where new cleansers will be trained and indoctrinated. When cleansers are called to duty, they report to the international barracks and from there must fulfill these duties.

Just an idea or two. :D
zpallin
Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions for Building Rules and Regulations for the new world.

Post by Skull Sphinx on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 am

I don't feel it should be "mandatory" though. Make it a town guard duty or something. I do like the size rules though, I feel they are fair. If the "Cleansers" can find my "village", then more power to them, hahaha!
Skull Sphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by spiffzombie on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 am

Z, I like the ideas to limit towns and to rid of the unwanted stuff. I currently play on a server that has the mod "towny". If you haven't already seen/heard about it, it allows people to form towns. Each town consist of town blocks (which are 16x16 grids). A person wishing to form a town can start a town with a limited number of grids allowed, they also have to pay a starting price for the town. With each person becoming a town member, the town size is allowed to grow. Also, nations can be formed so one King will rule the towns within the nation. Nations also add a town block boast to towns.

What is good about this mod is you can configure just about anything. you can change how many town blocks are allowed per town member (for each person it can be say 5 or 10 town blocks). Within towns, you can turn mobs, firespread, and explosion on/off. Also, you can toggle who can build stuff in a town ( the three types of people are town members, allies, and outsiders), this allows you to protect your town.

This mod also required a economy plugin to run. People need money to start a town, pay for additional town blocks, and to pay the town tax. But, it seems that the server needs a economy that people can depend on. admins can make money rare. If we are going to start a economy plugin, why not do it since we are starting fresh.

here is a link to the mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What does everyone think about this?

spiffzombie
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by zpallin on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:13 am

I like the idea of using towny, I would be willing to support an economy mod if it meant getting towny.

But I also recognize this server at its best has been mostly vanilla. I would not want to alter that too much.
zpallin
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by cavetrekkr on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:23 am

I used towny on another server I played on before DoT. It works well for non-whitelisted servers, since town and town blocks are protected. However, on DoT, the community is tightly-knit and well-policed. We don't really need our homes protected; chest protection was plenty. And for economy, our trade and RP-based system worked fine.

I just think that towny would be another headache to deal with and work around, distracting us from roleplaying.

Back to the original idea: I don't think that people should be able to form their own towns very easily. Towns that are made should be active, (relatively) large in population, and well-organized.
cavetrekkr
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Squii on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:22 pm

I really dislike this idea.
Being a "cleanser" would be a very boring and annoying job, and I don't think the previous owner's of the buildings you destroyed would be very happy with you either.
The "grand cleanser" distracts us from RP making us play silly, unnecessary political games like back in the elections for spawn town.
Whoever is the "grand cleanser" will have a very big job on his hands, what if he screws up?
I don't see why nation ranks or cleansers would be necessary since we don't have the "too many towns" problem, nor do we need plugins for an economy/town building since we already worked those out pretty well.
Last of all, if something does need to get removed, we already have the "Overlich Destruction Services" and he has a squad ready to dismantle any buildings in case it is needed.
Squii
Loot God

http://Pimpturtles.awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Basically what Squii said.

Not to mention, I want to cut off the beast's head in the beginning rather than after it's already terrorized the townsfolk. What I mean by that is, everyone knows the rules and follows them. Done. We don't have to go out cleaning the dead buildings.

Also 'indoctrinating'? That sounds a bit... cruel.

spiffzombie wrote: Within towns, you can turn mobs, firespread, and explosion on/off.

Sweet. Too bad explosions and firespread is already off.

At least for normal players. Turning explosions off drastically restricts Faelar and the RP workings.

spiffzombie wrote:
This mod also required a economy plugin to run.
No. We will never have an economy plugin in. They don't work, and they're stupid. We've all talked about this before and agreed.

If we ever DO get one, it will only be so Blaze can do some of his Research and Development things.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Post by nighttiger1000 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:13 pm

I respect your ideas, though I'm not sure if they would work, some things would be unnecessary, but maybe we could use partial parts of the ideas. Possibly could work.

Last edited by nighttiger1000 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
nighttiger1000
Regular

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/peace-birchwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Squii on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:22 pm

nighttiger1000 wrote:Well, as Squii said, I think this is a terrible idea, if anyone can build a village, we would have way to many that people would abandon. Cleansers? That just sounds like a stupid idea in itself, everyone should be required to become a cleanser...no.

All I'm saying is I think this is a terrible idea and will make us do a lot of unnecessary things, that take away from the RP aspect.
I think you went a bit too far Peace, that sounds extremely rude.
He posted this thread to see if we approved or not of his ideas, not to have them thrown in his face.
Squii
Loot God

http://Pimpturtles.awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddwarf on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:29 pm

I like the nation ranks, but the cleanser thing seems a bit ... Unusual.
Oddwarf
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by zpallin on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:40 am

Squii wrote:
Being a "cleanser" would be a very boring and annoying job, and I don't think the previous owner's of the buildings you destroyed would be very happy with you either.
The "grand cleanser" distracts us from RP making us play silly, unnecessary political games like back in the elections for spawn town.
Whoever is the "grand cleanser" will have a very big job on his hands, what if he screws up?
I don't see why nation ranks or cleansers would be necessary since we don't have the "too many towns" problem, nor do we need plugins for an economy/town building since we already worked those out pretty well.
Last of all, if something does need to get removed, we already have the "Overlich Destruction Services" and he has a squad ready to dismantle any buildings in case it is needed.

I don't really think it's boring, but I guess that is why we disagree.

However, I am most certainly interested in creating political games. I find RP is much more interesting when it is not so one sided. Of course, if you're worried about people just getting angry and divisive over the rules, we have that anyway. With more specific rules enforced by a regulatory force, such as my "cleansers" idea, there would be even more of a reason to conform.

We don't have a "too many towns" problem now, but we have had this problem in the past and we may have it in the future. Also, while I was adventuring around the most recent map, I've come across plenty of abandoned structures.

And while we have the "Overlich" destruction services, as you say, I think a collective serverwide effort to control quality would ironically reduce the need for "cleansers". The service itself renders itself useless at its best. See what I mean?

nighttiger1000 wrote:
Cleansers? That just sounds like a stupid idea in itself, everyone should be required to become a cleanser...no.

I think you're just afraid that Horizon would be scrapped under these rules.
zpallin
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by nighttiger1000 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:46 am

zpallin wrote:
Squii wrote:

I don't really think it's boring, but I guess that is why we disagree.

However, I am most certainly interested in creating political games. I find RP is much more interesting when it is not so one sided. Of course, if you're worried about people just getting angry and divisive over the rules, we have that anyway. With more specific rules enforced by a regulatory force, such as my "cleansers" idea, there would be even more of a reason to conform.

We don't have a "too many towns" problem now, but we have had this problem in the past and we may have it in the future. Also, while I was adventuring around the most recent map, I've come across plenty of abandoned structures.

And while we have the "Overlich" destruction services, as you say, I think a collective serverwide effort to control quality would ironically reduce the need for "cleansers". The service itself renders itself useless at its best. See what I mean?

nighttiger1000 wrote:
Cleansers? That just sounds like a stupid idea in itself, everyone should be required to become a cleanser...no.

I think you're just afraid that Horizon would be scrapped under these rules.

No, not at all, it would be a bit of a hassle and as Squii said, annoying. I doubt people would want to be required to become a cleanser.
nighttiger1000
Regular

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/peace-birchwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkborne on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 am

I think Z's idea has merit!

What Z refers to (and what those of us who were there remember) was what I like to call dead-dream herpes. This is the phenomenon where many MANY "private" projects and half-baked start-up towns were made, abandoned, then remade several times in many different places by the same people who got bored of the first project.

Having a task force dedicated to cleaning the chaff would make things easier. There's no longer be any need to randomly bomb (hah... tnt is pork...) no-name settlements for anyone anymore. It'll get old really quick anyways, to try and come up with reasons to care in RP...

"OH noez! This place got bombed!"
"What was it called?!"
"I dunno!"
".... When was it built?"
"No clue!"
"W-who.... lived there?"
"No idea! I think it was abandoned!"
"So..... why should we care?"
"I..... don't? I guess?"
"......"
".........."
"Wanna watch me ride a pig?"
"Hell yeah!"

The fact is, from what I've heard RP needs more depth anyways. If he wants to inject some life into HIS playing experience, why deny him? And You guys are constantly harping on building consequences anyways. In fact, in Peace's case, this will only help him, cause it'll likely destroy the no-name settlements that are stealing people from Horizon. Like Mazer's town, some 10k blocks in the wilderness.

That being said.... Yeah, I'm afraid I have to agree with the notion that making this service mandatory for everyone to participate in is a bit excessive. Just like you want to enhance your play experience, it would be wrong to alter other people's without their permission. I'm sure you'll get more than enough volunteers for a legal griefing task force anyways (to put it bluntly).

I have to agree somewhat with their assessment on the plugins, Towny is stupidly easy to break and iconomy doesn't seem necessary, but I'm ambivalent towards it. I could care less one what or another whether we get it or not.

My point being, this idea has some good points to it. Don't discount it simply because you're too lazy to do the work. And the beautiful thing about ideas? They're malleable.

Darkborne
SMP Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by n008i3 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:44 am

Well said Dark.

n008i3
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum