» ..o_o
Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 am by Faelar Laelither

» Hello?
Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 am by Warrikon

» Help Wanted: Blueprints & Buildings
Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:51 am by Assasin_Frost

» Introducing: Sol, the Official Currency of Dawnfire
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm by BlazeZeroThree

The Antonius Chronicles - Summer Edition [Finished] and other Stories [Unfinished]

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Antonius Chronicles - Summer Edition [Finished] and other Stories [Unfinished]

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:42 am

It's not a proper epilogue, heck, it's not even really an epilogue...I'm not even sure why I called it that... >.>

Anyways, it's a surprise as well as kind of a post-story thank you. But you'll have to wait about another...hour? Maybe XD
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: The Antonius Chronicles - Summer Edition [Finished] and other Stories [Unfinished]

Post by Tengard on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:00 am

D:

Awww... I saw the post and got my hopes up... CURSE THEE!

Unless, that would slow you down... than I don't curse you.

"Rusk: The kind of man who would "act" like he just stole your baby child's lollipop." -Scope.

Tengard, the master of "Nope let's make the characters as UNHAPPY as possible..."

Nihilum, the evolved form of Rusk. Commonly found in dimensions of sheer awesomeness, this Pokemon takes to flying over noobs after a hearty lunch of enchiladas. Needless to say, a swarm is considered a bad sign in many cultures.
Tengard
SMP Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:39 am

Epilogue...which isn't really an epilogue because it's not written in the correct style but who cares really?

Well here we are again, it’s always such a pleasure! No, I don’t plan on breaking into song, but I do have a surprise for you all. I was talking with a friend of mine and told her about SkullSphinx’s “Busty Dark Elf” comment...something I still hold in high disdain. She told me “AJ, how about you sketch them in human form? You know, so people have an actual idea of what Sid and Kai look like?”

Well here you are guys, Sid and Kai in the flesh –

Well not technically th’ flesh, y’know. She gave us a proper look, but it’s still jus’ a sketch of wha’s in your mind. *Taps Ajani on the side of the head*

And she even put my braid on the correct side. Fantastic!

Ok guys, stop it. I’m not the best sketch artist, but I had fun drawing this. Besides, be happy that I didn’t make you look like, I dunno, something from the Black Lagoon.

Somehow that statement accurately describes Kai on any weekday morning.

*Kai smacks Sidhiel on the back of the head.*

Oww!

Shaddup, you insomniac. It’s ‘cause of all that coffee you drink that you never sleep.

Yes, well somehow you drink at least five cups of caffeinated tea a day and never stay up.

Tha’s 'cause I’m caffeine tolerant.

And that is the WORST excuse I have ever heard.

Guys. GUYS. Come on quit bickering. What’re we here for?

Ta thank th’ omnipotent narrator of our lives for writing down what happened ta us this summer?

No, but thank you anyways. The three of us are here to give out a huge thank you to those of you who read this story. Also, we’re to bid a fond and warm farewell to you, Frazz, leader of the server and the guy that gave me a chance to give these two a life.

Yeh, thanks fer that Frazz, we won’ forget it!

You gave us a chance to meet a fantastic group of people, Frazz, and we raise our glasses to you in honor. To Frazz!

*All three raise their glasses, grinning* “TO FRAZZ!”

So are y’actually gonna post that pic or are we just gon' float around in the void for a while longer?

Do not rush her, little sister. She is obviously much too scared to -

AJ smacks the back of Sidhiel’s head and hits the *post* button. “There! HAPPY?!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oh dear. Kai, she appears to be excessively headdesking again. Go grab that pillow over there please.

Caaaaaaaan do!

Last edited by AJ.Wisteria on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:53 am

Wow! You're an amazing artist, AJ!
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengard on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54 am

That's great! Good job! :D

"Rusk: The kind of man who would "act" like he just stole your baby child's lollipop." -Scope.

Tengard, the master of "Nope let's make the characters as UNHAPPY as possible..."

Nihilum, the evolved form of Rusk. Commonly found in dimensions of sheer awesomeness, this Pokemon takes to flying over noobs after a hearty lunch of enchiladas. Needless to say, a swarm is considered a bad sign in many cultures.
Tengard
SMP Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am

Brb crying in a corner.

Sealand
Sea Fortress Extraordinaire and Lord of the Tentacles

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:20 am

Oh gees I'm laughing so hard right now wait...

NO! NO CRYING IN CORNERS! Bad Sealand! Come back and stop crying over there!

Seriously though, please don't cry in a corner :( I feel all bad now T.T

Thank you for the sentiments on my sketching, friends...it took me about six weeks to do this one, what with sketching it proper and coloring it (yay free software!)...there were lots of distractions...
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:09 am

So I have a question: I'm not saying I'll actually do this, but I'm getting people's input. Should I try (again, the keyword is TRY) to write up some of the letters between Rissien and Sidhiel? Or occasionally post conversations with Sidhiel and Kai (since they visit each other on a weekly basis, the conversations won't be THAT often) up here?

Honest answers, please! XD And honestly, I don't care that I've double posted. I'm rather tired and am in the process of packing for the trip back home!
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengard on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:15 am

I think, based on your story, it would be a very interesting read. I'd really enjoy to read it! :)

Tengard
SMP Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Faelar Laelither on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 am

I'm sure you'd write a masterpiece out of it.
Faelar Laelither
The Loremaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:24 am

It'll be a LOT of dialogue, since I'm a bit better at writing that. Especially when it comes to conversations between Kai and Sid. Comments will still be allowed on this page as I keep posting ^.^ I'll write for a little bit and post the first part up in a few days...or whenever it gets written >.>
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazer_ on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:20 am

Woooooooooowwwww, brilliant, amazing, fabulous, glorious, outstanding, wonderful job on the story, AJ! A true masterpiece indeed. And quite a good drawing too, if I might add, and I saw the menu board, haha, I'm surprised you remember that. :P Thanks for adding it. <3 Nice job all 'round AJ! :D
Mazer_
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Sounds like it'd be awesome AJ. I'd love to read either the letters or the sister's conversations.

Sealand

Back to top Go down

LETTER NO 1 - Sidhiel to Rissien

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:59 am

Date sent: 8 days after Sidhiel and Kai's departure from Kalvan

Dear Rissien:

Kai and I made it back to New Cerberus safe and sound. Mostly. We were waylaid a few times by wandering undead and a few NECs. Third night our tent was invaded by spiders, so I spent the remainder of the night stomping out our sleeping bags while Kai slept in a tree. Even though I am an insomniac, I had to strap myself to Mikael just to keep myself from falling out of the saddle! Kai just laughed at me as per ususal.

Anyways, we reached New Cerberus safely, and although being back has us in high spirits, there is a gloom that has fallen over the town. Three weeks certainly is not enough time to recover from the death of a friend, no matter how little you knew them. Richards death really hurt Kai…

See, she is friends with (how would I describe him? Hm.) a rather interesting young fellow who is disliked by most, scratch that, ALL of the community here. He has a nasty habit of dousing his arrows in lighter fluid and shooting them at people...it generally does not earn one points in the "well liked" category. Well, Antimony likes him, but he is in jail so that rules him out…

Anyways, our friend Richard had a magic artifact that basically kept him alive. Said artifact basically developed a very vengeful and cruel personality of its own and took Richards over, nearly killing Kai’s friend. She called Richards quite a few names (most of which I cannot write here without shuddering...by Frazz Kai has the mouth of a sailor!), hit him a few times, the like… but never got a chance to apologize before he died.

She hates herself for that, and even though being away from New Cerberus has helped her recover, it pains her to be back…she became very used to listening to his forge, since it’s in his house is across from the tavern. She would strum along on the fiddle to the rhythm of the hammer, and she really did respect him, even though she knew him very little. This could have to do with her hidden memories...just like her care for our "friendly neighborhood pyromaniac"...

Anyways, morbid subjects aside, I hope everything is going well for you in Kalvan. How is your leg? I have a feeling it still hurts, but I hope the healing process is going well! How go the repairs on the city? Politics? Keep me updated, and, of course, keep care of yourself, Rissien.

-Ellie

Author's Note: I have no way of changing fonts on here, and I'm avoiding using Comic Sans (because I know JUST how much everyone LOVES that font), so for now, the fonts are going to look funny. DEAL WITH IT. Edit: All letters will be written in italics, just so it looks more...realistic. Also, Rissien's response will be up later. Remember kids: POSTING IS STILL ALLOWED, I certainly like critical feedback.

Last edited by AJ.Wisteria on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Squii on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 am

Pretty amazing as always AJ, looking forward to reading more letters :3
Finally stopped being lazy and decided to post in this thread :P
Squii
Loot God

http://Pimpturtles.awesome

Back to top Go down

Letter 2 - Rissien to Sidhiel

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:36 am

Sent approximately 15 days after Sidhiel's last letter.

Ellie,

You have no idea how fantastic it feels to be getting letters from you. Twenty years ago we unsuccessfully tried this, but I suppose we’ve followed that saying “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again”. In all seriousness, your little note put my mind at ease.

I could tell, when you spoke of Richards in Kalvan, that you were fond of him, and I convey my sincerest condolences to you, your sister, and your fellow mourners. Losing a friend is never easy, but then again, I guess we know that better than most…We should try our best to stay away from morbid subjects. They don’t make great conversation continuers, do they?

I can tell you this, Ellie. The past week or so has been terribly hectic. I apologize for not sending this letter out sooner, but part of the post office was destroyed, so we’ve had to move it elsewhere until the building can be repaired. Ugh. When I’m not hip-deep in paperwork I’m hip-deep in politicians who want to stick their grubby little fingers into every single project I’m working on!

Dorian, however, has been most helpful in keeping me out of waist-deep paperwork piles. That boy has a knack for shorthand like I’ve never seen before, and I’ve no idea how he does it. He works at the granary for most of the week and most of the day, then spends his free hours here at the castle organizing my paperwork. Once things have quieted down a bit I plan on putting in an official request to have him become an apprentice to the court scribe (he’s hinted at wanting a position like that).

Ellie, I’ve some great news for you. When Lord Dariak set off the bomb – we’re still researching the remnants of it, though there’s not much left – it set off a massive collapse at the back of the cavern. We managed to tunnel through and clear the rubble and guess what we found: the coastline! Ellie, we’re sitting next to the ocean! Or, at least, a very large lake, I’m not sure. The people of Relthen were so happy upon discovering this, and plan to set up a small outlying port settlement to create a sea-based economy in Kalvan.

Of course, we have to clean up what’s left of Bluestone Keep, we’re putting in a highway through the old throne room/main passage so townsfolk can walk out to the shoreline, and we’re probably going to completely renovate the castle…it’ll take a while. Honestly, I’m just happy I can sit out on the shoreline and watch the moonrise…

I suppose that’s about all for now. Don’t get hammered by any haerteons, ok?

-Rissien

A court mage that hates politicians? He apparently hasn't ever been to the Dawnlands. We just put Iron Golems in charge of our towns...

XD

Last edited by AJ.Wisteria on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengard on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 am

Love it, keep up the awesome writing! :D

Tengard
SMP Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Squii on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:59 pm

AJ.Wisteria wrote:
"We should try our best to stay away from morbid subjects. They don’t make great conversation continuers, do they?"

I c wut u did thar :3

Also, that was fast, I was expecting a bigger time frame between these letters :P
Squii
Loot God

http://Pimpturtles.awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:59 pm

So true, isn't it Squii? I was hoping you'd get that joke XD

The time frames will get longer as the weeks pass on...since we don't really have any RP events going on, it'll be a while before I put out another chapter for this story.

Well, I may put up a conversation, but it won't be up till Sunday, since a few of my friends were like "YOU'RE GOING CAMPING". So now I'm going camping this weekend. WOOHOO!!

Anywho, glad you guys like it! :D
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

A Chance Meeting

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 am

Ah Hah! Considering I have absolutely NOTHING better to do tonight (which is technically a lie because I have online English homework that needs completing, but this is much more fun) I decided I'd post something. It's not a letter or a conversation, but a little history...a bit of exposition, if you will, surrounding Sidhiel and Rissien. Because, well, there's no RP to write about. Hope this keeps you guys busy!

------------

“Ah little miss! What brings ye t’my stall this fine mornin’?” Sidhiel looked up at the man, a big grin on her face. “We caught some nice fresh halibut, e’en a tuna this morn’!” Maric stopped abruptly, coughing a few times before lighting his pipe. Sidhiel took a seat on a crate next to him and picked up a decorated fishhook, the silver tinsel glinting in the afternoon sun as she breathed in the soft, sweet scent of the pipe smoke. “That ain’t fer catchin’ the big ‘uns, miss. Those is fer catchin’ the trout in th’ streams east of ‘ere, in the mountains.”

“Why is it so brightly decorated?”

“Well miss,” he laughed and plucked it from her fingers, coughing as he chewed the end of his pipe. “Y’see, it’s darker up there in them streams than it is here in the ocean. Fish can’t see so good, so y’gotta make somethin’ ta catch their eye!” Maric handed her a hook, a few colorful feathers, and some copper wire, and she began the task of wrapping her own hook. She had always liked Maric, out of all the fishermen in the market. He was old, worn-down and haggard with stumps for teeth and a face more wrinkled than an unironed shirt, but he was the only one who hadn’t waved her off when she began sneaking out of the orphanage.

The soft sea breeze tickled her bare feet and legs as she swung them back and forth, humming softly as she finished wrapping the first hook. “There! What do you think?” Maric picked it up and squinted at it, rotating it in his fingers as a grin spread across his face. He nodded and Sidhiel clapped her hands, laughing like a child. In all respects she was a child – she had the appearance and mindset of a twelve-year-old human, though her actual age was much older and still unknown to her. She knew she had a birthday sometime in the winter, but that was all, the rest simply a blur of hazy memories.

“So does Mrs. Maven know you’s here, miss?” Sidhiel shook her head, grinning slyly as Maric laughed. “’Course she doesn’t. You’re too smart for ‘er, right?” he bartered momentarily with a passing woman for a cut of tuna and a few halibut before taking another completed hook from the young, red-eyed girl at his side.

Sidhiel watched the people mill about in the market, her eyes scanning everyone equally before settling on the form of a half-elf her age in a brown coat. He appeared to be in a hurry, not even stopping to pick up the produce he dropped when his foot caught a loose stone. She watched as he stumbled around the market and down a nearby alley, frowning at the terror she saw in his eyes. Finally she caught sight of three larger boys – a year or two older than she was, she guessed – tearing through the market with no regard for anyone else, knocking people and produce over as they made a beeline for the alley. “Maric, I have to go, but I will see you later! Promise!” she said, hopping off the barrel and snatching up a rolling apple from the street as she followed in hot pursuit of the three boys.

She followed the paths of the children almost innately, noticing a slight copper glow along the cobblestone following their route. She had noticed this copper glow more often as of recently, as well as a soft copper aura around people she saw in her dreams, but knew now was not the time to ponder such things.

She heard voices from a nearby corridor and slid to a stop, peeking around the corner and into the darkness of the dead-end alley. The first boy, the one with the produce, was cowering against the back wall, his bag of vegetables and fruit nowhere to be found. One of the older boys advanced and snatched a book out of the young half-elf’s hands, who protested loudly and grabbed for it. The older boy – Sidhiel by then had labeled the three pursuers as “bullies”, with the largest obviously being the ringleader – turned the book on its edge and rifled through the pages, frowning.

“How th’ Nether d’ya read this? It don’t got proper pictures! An’ what’s this?” he shoved the book in the boy’s face, pointing to a page. “I thinks it’s girly writing, whaddaya say guys?”

“They’re runes! For making seals and – “

“Girly writing!” the second bully yelled, grinning maliciously as the three broke into a chant. The first tossed the book over his shoulder haphazardly, causing Sidhiel to duck around the corner to avoid it. She picked it up and leafed through the pages gently, realizing the book was a beginner’s guide to magic and creating runic seals. She looked back and saw the third bully, who up until then had been silent, rifling through the pockets of the elf in hopes of finding spare coins or other trinkets. She frowned and stepped out into the corridor, tossing the apple in her hand a few times before hurling it at the young half-elf’s assailants.

The aforementioned fruit struck the first bully squarely in the back of the head as he let out a string of profanity that made Sidhiel grimace.“Who th’ Nether are you?!” he yelled, wheeling around on his heel to face the girl. She was quite a sight to see with her short cropped blackish-purple hair, a dirtied white shirt with torn sleeves, tattered brown pants, and shoeless feet, but her eyes blazed with an inner fury the likes of which the three assailants had never seen.

“How about you leave him alone, you malodorous primeval nincompoops?” she replied calmly, scowling at them. The three looked at each other in confusion, not sure what to make of this girl’s broad vocabulary. She smacked her forehead with her palm and grumbled before elaborating. “You stinky stupid hobos.”

The third bully growled and advanced, throwing punches as he went. Sidhiel sidestepped and stuck her foot out, sending the yellow-haired boy face-first into the cobblestone below. He let out a yell and stumbled back, one hand clasped over his nose and mouth as a trickle of blood ran down his chin. “By dose!” the boy whimpered, running at her once more before he was finally sent tumbling back with a simple kick to his middle.

The second bully ran at her, smart enough to avoid her sidestep but not quite quick enough to avoid a swift kick to his most valued jewels. His eyes welled up and he whimpered, crawling away to join his friend as they stumbled back, humiliated. Sidhiel felt a battering ram hit her stomach, knocking the air out of her as she cartwheeled backward, skidding to a stop a few feet back. She coughed a few times and grimaced, staring up at the larger boy. She rolled to avoid a kick and got back up, dodging punches as best as she could. While the others had been “just talk”, the first one actually knew how to defend himself…and was much better at it than she was. She felt another hit slam her shoulder and she grunted, stumbling back into the wall.

As if on instinct, she narrowly avoided a punch to the face and, instead, rammed the palm of her hand into his forehead. An explosion of pain ripped through their heads as they simultaneously cried out in pain. Sidhiel bit her lip, ignoring the throbbing in her head as she felt a trickle of something run from her nose. She looked up at her assailant through watering eyes, smirking as he stumbled blindly face-first into the wall and bounced off, rolling into the street at the feet of his comrades. “Y…you…you won’ get away with this!” he yelled, his voice breaking as he rubbed his head. “You…” he trailed off and whimpered, nearly taking his two friends back down onto the cobblestone as he pitched forward and landed flat on his face. Her smirk turned into a grimace as her headache returned, and watched as the two others half-helped, half-drug the bully away.

She finally picked the book up off of the ground, dusted it off, and walked towards the half-elf. He was a rather gaunt-looking elf even for his age, one of those kids who seemed to be made completely out of spindly arms and legs. His brown hair, which had once been tied back in a simple ponytail, now hung in limp strands, outlining his darkened eye sockets and pale face. He gave a rattling cough and shied away from Sidhiel’s outstretched hand. She knelt down in front of him and held her hand out, this time with the book in it. “I think this was yours?” she said, nodding to the book. He looked confused, then reached out a shaking hand and grabbed the book, flipping through the pages to make sure that nothing was damaged. He smiled softly and closed it, fitting it under his arm as he looked back up at the girl.

His blue eyes stood out against his pale face as a concerned look passed over his countenance. He rummaged through his coat pocket and held out a handkerchief. “Y…you’re bleeding.” He mumbled as Sidhiel took the handkerchief, staring at the monogrammed silk in disbelief. “It’s ok, you can use it.” she put it up to her nose, wiping away the trail of blood. “Why…why’d you do that? Step in and help me?”

“I do not like bullies or seeing others harassed.” She said, remembering the abuse she would have to face on her return to the orphanage. She stood up and offered the boy a hand. “So I help them.” He accepted her hand and stood, swaying slightly before nearly toppling over, the same rattling cough shaking him. She stepped in and braced her shoulder under his arm as he coughed again in the other direction. “Are you – “

“Recovering from pneumonia. Don’t worry, I’m ok.”

“Should you not be at your home in bed?” she asked, incredulous. She helped him out to the street where he stopped, looking nervously in both directions before nodding. “I should be. My parents don’t know I’m here, but I needed to get my book.” he coughed again. “Go left, then right at the third street.”

They came to a massive house, one of the more well-known ones in Relthen. A great iron fence loomed before the two ominously. “Is there a back door?” she asked, staring at the fence nervously. He nodded in reply and they arrived at the cellar, where he threw open the door and stared into the darkness.

“I ah…thanks.” He said, smiling at the girl. She beamed back at him and nodded. “I’m Rissien.” he extended a hand and she shook it, nodding.

“Sidhiel.”

Rissien grimaced and shook his head. “I’ll never remember that.”

Sidhiel pursed her lips thoughtfully, then snapped her fingers with a smile. “How about Ellie?” Rissien nodded, grinning as she waved and slipped through the bars in the fence.

“So what was that all about, little miss?” asked Maric once Sidhiel had returned.

She simply grinned and picked up another fishhook, beginning to wrap it with copper wire as she stared out at the market place. “Oh, just making a new friend.”
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:47 am

Sent one week after Rissien's last letter.

Dear Rissien,

I wish I could write back and tell you that everything is back to normal here. Well, nothing is ever “normal” here in the Dawnlands, but you know what I mean. I hope. Kai and I arrived safely, but not long before your last letter arrived the Dawnlands were attacked and razed by Netherborn. Do you remember what happened in Kalvan? How Netherborn and undead alike were allied to try and destroy the city? That is exactly what happened here, only they succeded. I woke up one night to the smell of burning wood and just barely escaped my tavern in Horizon before being crushed by a piece of the roof. Kai wrote to tell me that New Cerberus lies in ruins, the same as its sister city.

Currently we are rebuilding Hearthfire, and the town is coming up quite nicely. Of course, New Cerberus is rebuilding as well, but recent events have made this difficult.

On a side note, you recall Corman Dariak? Ah, what am I saying, we all remember him. He appears to be one of the ones in charge of bullying the Netherborn into working with the undead. We – we being Chris, Animus, and I (though we gathered some followers on the way) learned of their headquarters, Enclave, and went in to take it out. We were attacked by a man named Malcolm Dariak – yes, Corman’s brother. Malcolm had made quite a mess in Relthen about seven years ago, and my parents and I thought we had gotten rid of him. he took a tumble over the cliffs and into the sea…but we never dredged the bay for his body. At the start of the battle, things seemed to be going well enough, that is until Flariel (one of the companions we picked up on the way) revealed himself as an enemy and injured us pretty badly. He ran off after I hit him with my axe though…

Long story short, we defeated Malcolm with the help of a massive boar (and by massive I mean it would not have fit through Bluesetone Keep’s doors) and its master, both members of the Emerald Order (long story, much too long to describe in a letter). We continued on and defeated the last remaining residents of Enclave – a long-turned-undead ruler named Perpentach, his son, and their minions. Of course, we had to high-tail it out of there not long afterwards –

Rissien, be thankful you do not have to deal with werewolves that shoot wall-eating wasps out of their hands. We were met at the portal by a few more members of the Emerald Order and escaped mostly unscathed but definitely happy to have ended the lives of a few of our enemies. As ghastly and cruel as that sounds, both Malcolm and Perpentach were threats, and if they had been allowed to carry on, well, things would have been worse for everyone.

I made my way back to Hearthfire and ran into Faelar on the way, who appeared to be setting fire to part of the countryside around the city. Something made him very, very angry, so it was a bit surprising, but I digress. He had mentioned someone in the Emerald Order – ah…I keep mentioning the Order, so I suppose I will explain it to you. Faelar, a friend of ours (also an extremely powerful elven druid) created the Emerald Order to help ahm…defend the universes. That is the best way I can describe it. It is a mix of all different races, ethnicities, genders, and powers, and they reside in a city very, VERY far away from here. He is their leader, and told me about one of the members that could teach me more about my abilities, even help me to hone them.

I shall not say any more about this subject, mostly to protect those who were involved, but I came back feeling rested, at ease, and much more in control. After the events of Enclave…I really needed that. In fact, I have never felt more at ease... except when dancing. By the way, do you have ANY idea how difficult it is to find a partner for someone who is over six feet tall?

Kai and I just returned from a Referendum regarding the Dread Knights, where we were attacked by one of them. I believe the community’s faith in them has been shaken, but Kai believes she can change them for the better. Or at least, she hopes she can, and has made “friends” with two of them. Well, one is more of an unlikely ally than a friend, while the other has deeper feelings for her than she can reciprocate at the moment. At some point I will have to explain this to you, but…not right now.

Well, I must retire and sleep for a little while. Kai made me climb to the top of a cliff for our most recent camping escapade, and I am…less than pleased with her. Of course, the last place I took her camping was crawling with spiders…no matter. Please, keep me posted on recent events in Kalvan, Rissien. Until next time, keep safe, heal fast, and may luck always smile upon you.

- Ellie.

Author’s Note: Even though I’ve done very little character development with Rissien, I’m glad I’ve kept him alive. I had plans to kill him off at the end of the “Summer story” but decided not to, or rather I was convinced not to. Anyways, you guys get a double post tonight, a letter AND a conversation. Enjoy!
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Fireside Chats with Sidhiel and Kai - Episode 1

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Fireside Chats with Sidhiel and Kai - Episode 1

“Kai listen…” Sidhiel began, feeling along the wall for a handhold. “I know you were less than pleased with our last camping spot…but I had no idea that there were spiders in that ruin!” she felt a rock slip under her foot and she grappled for a protrusion in the wall behind her. “But this…” she looked over the precipice into the gorge. “This is just cruel.”

“C’mon Sidney! Only a few more miles up to th’ tents!” she pointed to the top of the cliff where just the top of a white tent could be seen blowing in the wind. Sidhiel bit her lip, squeezing her eyes shut as she continued along the edge of the cliff. It seemed like an eternity before they reached the top and, much to Kai’s chagrin, Sidhiel spent the better part of an hour huddled in a corner of her tent, as pale as the blue skies above them.

It wasn’t until nightfall and the bright stars of the Dawnlands twinkled above them that Sidhiel sat down cross-legged next to the fire. She was dressed more casually than Kai had ever seen her, in a simple tank-top and baggy pants, showing the nasty scar that ran across her left shoulder. Even Sidhiel's right arm was visible, something Kai had seen maybe twice in the eight years she had known her sister. She stoked the fire absentmindedly and leaned back on her hands with a sigh, her legs crossed and eyes closed.

“Well. Yer lookin’ pretty at ease, Sidney.” Kai said with a grin. She lifted up the cooking stick from the fire pit and pulled off a porkchop, setting it on a plate before handing it to her sister. “Nightmares stopped?” Sidhiel shot her a sideways glance, accompanied by a smirk.

“Says the girl who wakes up screaming at night.” She returned, taking a bite out of her porkchop. “Besides, I do not have nightmares.”

“Oh really? Then why, whenever I spend the night in the extra bedroom, can I hear you whimpering from your room?” Kai frowned. “You’s an atrocious liar, Sidney. But I’s not gonna pry, ok?” She paused, taking a bite out of her own porkchop. “Considerin’ what happened yesterday, I’s surprised yer so relaxed.” Kai stared down at the burning lights of Hearthfire, remembering the events of the referendum. She wondered what had changed Ruckus’s mind, even what had changed Richardson’s mind, but she knew she would probably never know.

“I am just remembering back to a trip I took recently.” Sidhiel’s eyes seemed to dance in the firelight as she smiled absentmindedly. “I met some very nice new people and I even have a mentor for my psionic abilities.”

“Ooh! Where’d ya go?” Kai leaned forward, her elbows resting on her knees like a child. Suddenly a confused look came over her countenance as she furrowed her brows. “Wait a sec, I thought Vaerk was yer mentor?”

Sidhiel chuckled softly. “He is, but the person I met helped ease my fears of what I can do and gave me more information than Vaerk ever did. Of course, I believe it was a one-time deal,” Sidhiel’s countenance saddened slightly. “I cannot tell you where I went Kai, to protect the people there and the one who took me.”

Kai gave a loud “harrumph” and pouted, slouching as she took a sip of her tea. “Fine then, be all mysterious. It’s a bunch’a cryptic bullshit to me.” Sidhiel laughed again and took a drink from her coffee mug. “What? It is! Everyone’s so cryptic these days!” Kai said, exasperated. “Either that, or they’re just angsty. Seriously, the levels of angst in the Dawnlands these days are overwhelming! You’d think people’d be happy t’be finally nearing th’ end of this ordeal!”

Sidhiel nodded, her face softening. “A lot have things have happened lately, Kai. Everyone’s just – “

“Overwhelmed. Yeah, I get it.” Kai shifted, leaning back on her hands. “We need’ja back in New Cerb, Sidney. Yer th’ only level-headed one ‘round here.”

“Believe me, Kai, I wish I could do more, but with how things are in Hearthfire, I need to be there more often than not.”

“I know that, but th’ least you could do is come an’ visit! Who knows, maybe y’coulda pulsed Fae into submission before beatin’ Rusk within an inch of his life!” Sidhiel opened her mouth to protest, but Kai cut her off and continued. “Or maybe y’coulda pulsed ‘em all during th’ Referendum an’ given Richardson a chance t’ get out! I dunno, y’coulda – “

Sidhiel stood up suddenly, eyes blazing. “You think I don’t care, Kai? Huh? You think it doesn’t hurt me to see Faelar in so much emotional agony? Or see Chris and Squiiji fighting or, or, or see Rusk mourning the loss of Harlow?” Sidhiel paced near the campfire, her arms waving wildly. “You think I like seeing them when they’re hurt? Hearing about it later and realizing that I couldn’t do anything to prevent it? Do you honestly think I like hearing these people, the only other group of people that has ever accepted me for who I am – powers, skin tone, and all – bickering and squabbling over trivial matters when salvation is just within our grasp?”

Kai drew back, brows furrowed in surprise. She rarely saw her sister act out emotionally. Sidhiel noticed Kai's countenance and smiled apologetically, regaining her composure. "I am sorry I lashed out. I just...I suppose I am just as overwhelmed as everyone else."

“Damn. Yer as bad as Fae.” Kai said, chuckling awkwardly as she took a drink from her teacup. She put a hand on her sister’s shoulder and smiled as reassuringly as she could. “Hey. Emilia and Martin accept you. So does Dorian and Rissien and, hell, me too. I’ve got a six-foot-two blue-skinned, red-eyed psion as a sister and I’m cool with it.”

Sidhiel smiled sadly and chuckled. "Thanks sis." she suddenly heaved a sigh and took a drink from her mug, setting it on the grass next to her. “Kai, it is like you said back in Kalvan. We are all cogs in a massive machine, simply soldiers in an army. We cannot change the world by ourselves, nor can we control the people in it.”

“But you can still do your part – “

“As can you. We need to let them work out their differences on their own time. We cannot interfere…we can only help.” Sidhiel grinned, hiding the pain in her eyes behind a smile. “I think what they need most in New Cerberus is not a psionically-talented guard captain, but an even-tempered barkeep with a talent for making people laugh. Oh, and a knack for medicine.”

Kai laughed out loud suddenly, startling Sidhiel enough to make her drop her coffee. “Kai? What – ”

“No one in New Cerb knows how to dress an arrow wound! It’s painfully comical, actually.”

“You were shot? What did they do?”

“Yeah. Got hit here with an arrow after y’left fer Hearthfire.” She pointed to a spot under her left collarbone where a small divot in the skin sat. “Squiiji gave me this funny-lookin’ green liquid that tasted kinda like seawater and dirt, but it eased the pain, and Chris managed to wrap a bandage up around th’ arrow but – “

“Wait, it was still sticking out of your chest?”

“Yeah! I’s told y’before, if y’get hit with a dagger, a sword, an arrow, whatever, y’wanna leave it in until someone can cast a proper healin’ spell. It stops th’ blood flow! Anyways, Animus-One showed up an’ yanked it out – hurt like hell, I’ll tell you – an’ healed it. I bled all over th’ pavement though.”

“You should run a first-aid one-oh-one class, Kai, battlefield medicine.”

Kai grinned, stroking an invisible beard with a thoughtful look on her face. “Yeah! That’s a great idea! I’ll have t’ talk t’ Animus…maybe I can run shifts at th’ hospital once that’s up an’ running. Whaddaya think?" Kai stood up suddenly, waving her hand in a sweeping motion across the sky. "The Azure Angel Returns! Huh?”

“Sounds like a plan, sis.” Sidhiel clinked her mug with Kai’s teacup as the latter sat down and stared up at the sky, her composure regained and her face as unreadable as stone. They stayed silent for a long time, listening to the crackle of the fire over the soft wind that blew across the cliff tops. Finally Sidhiel took out a sheet of paper from her bag and began to write, smiling softly as she did so.

“So… can I read yer letters yet?” Kai asked, leaning over her sister’s shoulder.

“No.” Sidhiel said, pushing her sister’s face back with her hand. “Go play with the fire or somethin’.” A look of sheer delight spread across Kai’s face as she grabbed a stick from the pit and stared at the fire, waving it around in the air like a child with a new toy. Sidhiel chuckled softly and went back to writing, her face blank save for a soft frown that tugged at her lips. “May luck smile upon you.” She said softly. “We’re gonna need a lot more than luck to survive this.”

Ohh I like writing these. Hopefully they won't be as...outburst-prone as this one was. But then again, character expansion is fun. Eh, who knows. I'll continue to keep these posted, but have at the comments if you so please! Or give me ideas of things to write about. I need to keep my muse busy during these last few days of summer -_-
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealand on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Another great two posts, AJ! Love 'em both.

As for an idea for things to write about, it'd be interesting to see more of Rissien and Sidhiel's past together, maybe through letters or something. I dunno.

Either way, hope to read more soon.

Sealand

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Sealand wrote:Another great two posts, AJ! Love 'em both.

As for an idea for things to write about, it'd be interesting to see more of Rissien and Sidhiel's past together, maybe through letters or something. I dunno.

Either way, hope to read more soon.

Well I put up a short-story on how they met, but I've certainly been meaning to expand his character. I'll have to work on a few more shorts...hm. Yeah! Next project - ENGAGE.
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Friends in High Places

Post by AJ.Wisteria on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 pm

Friends in High Places

It had been raining heavily that day. Pools of water collected in potholes along the streets, disturbed by the occasional shoe of a passer-by or a stray raindrop. Sidhiel poked her head out of the wood crate for a moment and sneezed as a stray droplet struck her on the nose, splattering water across her face. “Rain. Why did it have to rain today?” she muttered sullenly as another drop splashed onto her exposed hand. Suddenly the sounds of voices reached her ears, female voices no less. She retreated as far back into the crate as she could and pulled the front up behind her, grasping the rope with shaking hands. She bit her tongue and drew her knees closer to her chest, trying to make herself as small and as quiet as possible, like a mouse retreating from a cat.

“Ugh. I mean seriously, do we really have to go out in this and search for the little bugger? It’s awful!”

“Maybe I’ll find my mommy out here…” Said a timid voice. Sidhiel realized it belonged to a girl named Anna and smiled softly, but it was soon replaced by a frown.

“You won’t! You’re just like Patchwork.” Said another voice, a bit more whiny: Zoe. You’ll never find your family, and you’d best get used to it. Man, why’d Mrs. Maven stick you with us anyways, you’re useless!” there was a quiet whimper and Sidhiel bit her lip, fighting the urge to step in and help Anna. She could handle the street bullies, she was safe from them in the orphanage. But if she went up against Zoe and her group…no, she knew better than that. As the voices faded into the distance she slowly let the front of the crate down, setting it on the ground as quietly as she could before poking her head out for a glance down the street.

“Thought I’d find’ja here, little miss.” Said a familiar voice. She jumped and squeaked, but relaxed when she smelled the familiar pipe-smoke that wafted towards her from her left side. “You can’t keep hidin’ from ‘em.”

“I was not hiding.” She said matter-of-factly, stepping out of the crate and brushing herself off. “I was…uh…I was waiting for someone.”

“In a crate?” Sidhiel gave Maric an irritated look and crawled up on top of her crate. “So you was waitin’ fer the Brinc boy, huh?” Maric puffed away on his pipe, catching Sidhiel’s slight nod through his peripheral vision. “Yer not gonna find ‘im here. Boy caught sick yesterday, real bad. Saw two healers goin’ into th’ house an’ comin’ out all pale-lookin’.” Sidhiel’s eyebrows raised in shock and her face dropped. A hand reached out and caught her as she hopped off the crate and started to run towards her friend’s house.

“Hold up there, little miss.” He said, trying not to tear any more holes in her threadbare and patched shirt.

“Let me go! I need to go see him!” she tugged and wrestled against his arm, but Maric didn’t let go.

“Let me help ya, then. This part o’ town’s covered in glass an’ loose nails. Wouldn’t want’cha t’ cut yer feet up.” he stood up and put her on his shoulders with a wry grin. “Plus, y’might need help with a distraction.”

It was a thirty-minute walk to the Brinc mansion from where Maric and Sidhiel had started, and by that time it had begun to rain again. Maric took her off of his shoulders and nodded, knowing full well that she knew the secret way into the house. Maric’s voice rose over the din of the rain as the house servants let him inside to get warm, and Sidhiel quietly slipped in through the basement window. She grinned and grabbed a towel from the corner, drying herself off as best as she could before she entered the main house.

Her bare feet were nearly soundless on the tiled floors, and the creaky stairs had been fixed since her last visit. She slipped up the stairs and crouched next to the banister, peering around the corner for any sign of hostile life. When the coast was clear, she crawled towards the third door on the right and slowly opened it, pulling down just slightly on the doorknob to stop the hinges from squeaking.

She stayed in the corner of the room, in the shadows, keeping a wary eye on the sleeping woman in the corner. Sidhiel guessed it was a nurse, someone who was there to keep an eye on Rissien, but she wasn’t doing the best job of it. She finally made it to Rissien’s bedside and sat on her knees next to it, hand wavering inches from his shoulder as she decided whether or not to wake him. He was a sickly pale color, sweat beaded on his brow and his hair in limp strands around his face. She’d never seen him this sick before, even when she’d taught him how to gut a fish. Of course, she mused, that was more nausea than anything else, but –

“Hey.” She jerked herself out of her thoughts and back to real-life, mustering the best smile she could as Rissien’s glassy eyes settled on her shadowed form. “How’d you get in?”

“Maric distracted your parents.” She said with a soft chuckle. “Man you look really bad.”

“I know I – “ he coughed violently, turning his face away from Sidhiel as he did so. “Sorry. I think I can start keeping a calendar of when I catch pneumonia each year. Same time last year too…not as bad – “ he coughed again, struggling for breath for a moment.

“Can I do anything to help? I don’t know how to uh…treat pneumonia?”

“The healers keep giving me this awful stuff. Says it helps, but I don’t believe ‘em. It tastes like…like if fish and cherries were mixed together and given the texture of molasses.” Sidhiel grimaced and stuck her tongue out, prompting a weak laugh from her friend. “Sorry I missed our meeting.”

“It’s okay, you got sick. It’s a legitimate reason.” He laughed again. “Plus, it was raining today, so we wouldn’t have gotten much – “

“Ellie?!” he whispered, frowning. “What the heck happened?!” she looked down and quickly folded her arms behind her back, pulling down the sleeves of her shirt to keep him from looking. It didn’t work and he rolled up onto his elbow, grabbing her right hand. “Gees Ellie, why do you let them do this to you?” he traced the bruises on her arms and ruler-cuts on her knuckles, grimacing. “That woman is a sadist, Ellie. She and her little group of minions. They need a good talking-to, they do, they – “ he broke down into another bout of violent coughing, rolling back over onto his back with a tired sigh.

“It’s okay, Rissien. I can deal with this, promise.”

“But why do they do that to you?”

“I dunno. Maybe ‘cause I’ve got blue skin and red eyes. Maybe ‘cause of this.” She rolled up her right sleeve and showed him her arm. “’Cause I’m different? Or ‘cause they’re bored. I don’t know.” Crossed her arms and rested her chin on them, blowing a stray lock of uncombed hair out of her face.

Rissien finally dozed off after a while, his breath rattling in his chest as they sat there, silent. She wasn’t sure just how long she’d been there, but by the time she looked out the window she noticed it was very dark outside. The warmth of the house, the room, the smell of fish-and-cherry medicine mixed with potpourri filled her with ease and she relaxed, flitting in and out of consciousness.

“You are the one Rissien has been seeing for the past three years, hm?” said a soft voice from the corner, startling Sidhiel out of her respite. She flew away from the bed and towards the actual bedroom window, attempting to open it with frenzied hands. “Little one, it is nearly a twenty-foot fall from that window, and broken ankles are no fun to have re-set.” A fair-skinned, dark-haired woman stood up from the rocking chair in the corner and made her way over to girl. “Please, do not be frightened.”

“Who’re you?”

“I am Mariel Brinc, Rissien’s older sister.” The woman extended a hand towards the girl and the latter took it, shaking it softly. A feeling of warmth and peace washed over Sidhiel as the pain in her hands and arms subsided, the bruises and cuts fading away through a healing spell. “I have to thank you, little one.”

“Why?”

“Rissien had no friends until he met you. He has alluded to you in conversation, but says you are always busy and cannot come out to play, but I see how he sneaks out to see you. I know of your secret meetings.” A look of utter shock and fear came over Sidhiel’s face, but it turned to one of confusion as Mariel laughed. “I do not plan on telling mother or father, no. In fact, I approve of this.”

“Huh?” Sidhiel said, cocking her head to the side like a confused puppy.

“Mother and father are so stifling, but Rissien is a free spirit. He likes to roam, let his mind run free. It helps when he studies, but our parents…” Mariel put her hands on Sidhiel’s shoulders and smiled softly. “You allow him a respite that he cannot otherwise have. Also, it helps that he has not gotten beaten up once this past year by the local bullies…” the coy grin that spread across Sidhiel’s face confirmed Mariel’s suspicions of Rissien’s sudden ability to defend himself.

Suddenly Mariel stood up and jerked her head towards the hall, surprised. “Here they come. Quickly, into the wardrobe.” Mariel opened up the wardrobe and shut the door behind the girl, who quickly scrunched herself into the deepest corner and made herself as small as she possibly could. Muffled voices could be heard speaking quietly in a different accent – a variant of Elvish, Sidhiel supposed – and soon three raps on the wood paneling next to her gave Sidhiel the all clear. She crawled out and stood up, brushing off mothballs as she did so. Mariel stood in front of her with a clean white shirt and brown trousers, smiling broadly. “Take these, so your peers can refrain from calling you nasty nicknames.”

Sidhiel did, putting them under her arm with shaking hands. “Can…can I come back tomorrow?” She grinned as Mariel nodded, then returned to Rissien’s bedside. “Rissien. I’ll be back tomorrow, okay? Promise.”

“Pinky promise?” he said with a weak smile, holding his left pinky up in the air. Sidhiel took it and grinned, gently touching her forehead to his before creeping towards the door.

“I will walk you home, little one. It is the least I can do for you.” Sidhiel stopped and stared at Mariel in shock before following the tall woman out of the door. “Stay behind me as we walk, little one.”

It was still raining rather hard when they returned to the outside world. The rain fell in sheets around them, directed away from their bodies by a weak silvery-blue forcefield that kept them warm and dry as they continued. The doors of the orphanage loomed ominously before them, and Sidhiel hesitated as Mariel’s hand reached for the doorknockers.

“There is no need to fear, little one. The wounds they inflict on you with their bodies and their words hurt you, yes, but you can overcome them. Make the pain a part of you, not a burden to you. Do not hide it.” Sidhiel nodded and pushed open the door as silently as she could, setting one foot inside the building before turning around to hug Mariel. With a parting wave Sidhiel smiled and slipped inside, shutting the door behind her. With a sleepy sigh she made her way up to her room and curled up in the center of her bed, throwing the covers over her body before finally drifting off into a restless sleep.

Well there you go, a bit more backstory surrounding Sidhiel and Rissien. Rissien was always a sickly child (which may or may not play into how his character turns out in the future, i.e whether or not I decide to keep him alive) and Sidhiel worried about him quite frequently. Mariel, Rissien's older sister, was a kind of mother-figure to Sidhiel, and is actually why Sidhiel refuses to speak with contractions (as a sign of respect and remembrance). Also, even though you don't see it very often, Sidhiel is a very caring person and Mariel was the one that instilled this in her.

I'll still continue the letters, and I'll maybe have two more backstories that'll go into writing here...I know the next one will showcase a happier period in Rissien and Sidhiel's time together. Plus, at some point, I'll delve a bit into Kai's backstory and how she came to be a member of the Antonius family. Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed it!
AJ.Wisteria
Tavernmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum